Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | nova olímpia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Nova Olímpia (5,806 inhabitants in 2016; 13,631 ha) is
located 600 km north-west of Curitiba.
Nova Olímpia was established in 1947 by Moacir Loures Pacheco, owner of Colonizadora do Paraná Ltda., on a plot offered in 1924 by the government to his father, Geniplo dos Santos Pacheco, as the payment for the construction of roads. In the early 1950s, Moacir Loures Pacheco and his associate, Mário de Aguiar Abreu, commissioned engineer Osvaldo Formighieri to design a new town along the old road connecting Tapira and Cruzeiro do Oeste.
The district of Nova Olímpia was established within the municipality of Cruzeiro do Oeste by State Law No. 4,930 promulgated on 23 September 1964, to be elevated a municipality by State Law No. 5,704 promulgated on 13 November 1967, separating from Cidade Gaúcha. The new municipality was inaugurated on 15 December 1968.
The flag of Nova Olímpia is orange with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
The coat of arms features Myron's "Discobolus" (discus thrower) as a straightforward reference to the ancient Olympic Games and the town's name, making the arms canting. There is, however, no connection between Nova Olímpia and Greek Olympia, since the name of the the new town was coined as a tribute to Olímpia Loures Pacheco, the mother's founder.
Ivan Sache, 6 February 2022