Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | medianeira |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Medianeira (45,812 inhabitants in 2018; 32,873 ha) is
located 600 km west of Curitiba.
Medianeira was planned on 20 October 1949 by Colonizadora Industrial e Agrícola Bento Gonçalves Ltda, a colonizing company based in Rio Grande do Sul. Colonization was managed by Pedro Soccol and José Callegari, while Emílio Henrique Gómez and Giácomo Domingos Cecconelo were appointed to found the new settlement.
The first mass was celebrated in Medianeira on 24 October 1951. The district of Medianeira was established by State Law No. 99 promulgated on 3 July 1952, to be elevated a municipality by State Law No. 4,245 promulgated on 25 July 1960, which was inaugurated on 28 November 1961.
The name of Medianeira emerged in a consensus among the early colonists, some of them calling for a name honoring their patron saint, other for a native name. Medianeira is both a reference to Our Lady Mediatrix of All Graces and to the geographical location of the town, at mid distance of Foz do Iguaçu and Cascavel.
The flag and arms of Medianeira are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 60 promulgated on 30 December 1976.
The flag of the municipality of Medianeira was designed by vexillologist and heraldist Arthur Luponi.
The dark red color resembles the color of the earth of Medianeira (reddish); white represents the reigning spirit of peace, friendship in the hearts of the inhabitants, cerulean blue is the symbolic color of justice, loyalty, perseverance, dignity, incorruptible firmness, perfection... invoked under the name of Our Lady Mediatrix of All Graces, and of Medianeira sky on spring mornings.
The two white five-pointed stars evoke the two pioneers, heroic explorers of the region's forest, Emílio Henrique Gómez and Giácomo Domingos Cecconelo.
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2022