Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | marilena |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Marilena (6,854 inhabitants in 2010; 23,236 ha) is
located on the border with Mato Grosso do Sul and São Paulo, 650 km north-west
Marilena was established in 1948 by Colonizadora Marilena, led by José Volpato and Abelardo Alcântara. Originally known as Feijão Cru, the place was renamed to Marilena as a tribute to Volpato's wife, Maria Helena Volpato.
The district of Marilena was established as part of the municipality of Paranavaí by State Law No. 13 promulgated on 5 August 1953. The municipality of Marilena was established by State Law No. 5,678 promulgated on 19 October 1967, separating from Nova Londrina, and inaugurated on 18 January 1969.
The flag of Marilena is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 394 promulgated in 2003. It was designed by José Noel dos Santos and José Noel dos Santos Junior.
Green is a symbol of hope, white a symbol of peace, and blue represents the sky.
José Noel dos Santos explains that the tunnel pattern of the flag represents perspectives for the future.
Vanderly Alves Ribeiro & José Augusto Alves Neto. 2013. Memórias e história. Cuadernos PDE, 1.
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2022