Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | guamiranga |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 2 February 2022
The municipality of Guamiranga (8,739 inhabitants in 2019; 24,480 ha) is
located 200 km west of Curitiba. The municipality is composed of the districts
of Guamiranga (seat), Água Branca and Vista.
Guamiranga was settled around 1860 in Água Branca and Barreiro, two places located on the tropeiros' roads. Colonized between 1890 and 1910 by Polish, Germans and Italians, the place was originally known as Monjolinho.
The district of Natal was established within the municipality of Imbituba, to be renamed to Guamiranga by Decree-Law No. 99 promulgated on 30 December 1943. The municipality of Guamiranga was established by State Law No. 11,203 promulgated on 16 November 1995 and inaugurated on 1 January 1997.
Guamiranga is named for a Tupi-Guarani word meaning "a tree with small red leaves".
The flag and arms of Guamiranga are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 16 promulgated on 30 June 1997.
The flag of the municipality of Guamiranga was designed by heraldist and vexillologist Reynaldo Valascki.
a) The rectangle forming the municipal flag of Guamiranga is divided in five distinct parts.
1. Four irregular triangles and one lozenge, the upper part of the rectangle blue and the lower one green, the third and fourth triangles yellow (or) at the rectangle's left and right, the lozenge white (argent) and four white stripes outlined in red (gules) that distinctively divide the rectangle.
The municipal coat of arms is applied in the center of the rectangle.
The celestial blue (azure) irregular triangle in the rectangle's upper part symbolizes infinite sky covering the territory of the municipality of Guamiranga. as well as the color of the cloak of the Blessed Virgin protecting Guamiranga's citizens. It also represents justice, nobleness, zeal, praise, perseverance, sweetness, dignity, vigilance, perfection and incorruptible firmness (Guelfi 64; Ascêncio 63; Roncheti 126).
The yellow (or) triangle at the rectangle's left and right, beneath the blue triangle, represents the mining and plant resources existing on Guamiranga's municipal territory.
The white (argent) central lozenge and stripes symbolize peace, friendship, purity, innocence, beauty, felicity, integrity, equity and truth.
The red (gules) outline symbolizes devotion, authority, greatness, majesty and triumph (Roncheti 798; Ascêncio 66).
The green (vert) irregular triangle in the rectangle's lower part symbolizes hope, felicity, the vast plains and rainforest, the vast reforested areas and rural areas existing in Guamiranga's municipal territory.
The municipal coat of arms applied in the flag's center symbolizes the town as the seat of the municipality of Guamiranga.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Guamiranga, designed by heraldist and vexillologist Reynaldo Valascki, is described in proper words as follows. The shield is in Samnite style (France modern) preferred to represent the arms of Guamiranga, of French origin and the first style of shield introduced to Portugal, used as a reference to the colonizing race and main builder of the Brazilian nation.
a) The mural crown surmounting it, white or gray (argent), has eight towers, three visible in perspective view, which identifies a domain's coat of arms and classifies a 3rd rank town, seat of a municipality.
b) Red (gules) symbolizes audacity, intrepidity, gallantry, nobleness and command, which are the attributes of the immigrants and colonists who, with courage and audacity, left their motherland and settled here, in spite of adverse climatic and linguistic conditions, to establish the foundations of a town that would become the municipality of Guamiranga.
c) The municipal coat of arms is divided in six quarters, an escutcheon and an irregular triangle featuring a handshake, in the center a big chimney and two sinuous lines representing river Ribeira, as well as the rivers and brooks that irrigate the rich soil of the municipality of Guamiranga.
d) The escutcheon is charged with a book symbolizing the Bible, the universal book of all religions, representing faith and the religious feelings of people living in Guamiranga.
e) In the central irregular triangle is featured a handshake, symbolizing the union of people living and working on Guamiranga's territory.
f) The first, left quarter features branches of yerba mate, a Paraná pine (Araucaria angustifolia), all green (vert), symbolizing hope in Guamiranga's work and future.
g) In the second, right quarter are featured a map, an inkpot, a pen, and a terrestrial globe all proper, symbolizing education and culture in the municipality of Guamiranga.
h) In the third, left quarter are portrayed two farmers growing and picking cereals.
i) The fourth quarter features a farmer driving a tractor, symbolizing the municipality's rich agriculture, 90% of Guamiranga's lands being mechanized.
j) The fifth quarter features a vast green (vert) reforestation area, one of the main sources of income of the municipality of Guamiranga.
k) The sixth quarter features a bovine head and a pig head representing animal breeding in the municipality.
l) A chimney divides the four quarters, symbolizing ceramic industry existing on the territory of the municipality of Guamiranga.
m) The shield is supported left (sinister) by maize and soybean plants proper and right by wheat and bean plants; beneath the shield are featured two tobacco plants, crops that symbolize the agricultural resources of the municipality of Guamiranga.
n) Beneath the shield a cogwheel symbolizing industries existing on the territory of the municipality of Guamiranga.
o) The celestial blue (azure) scroll is inscribed with the toponym "Guamiranga" surrounded left (sinister) with day, month and year "16-11-1995", the date of creation of the municipality, and right (dexter) by day, month and year "01-01-1997", the date of inauguration of the municipality's first mayor.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 2 February 2022