Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | carlópolis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
A blue flag bearing the municipal arms centred.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 11 July 2011
The municipality of Carlópolis (13,706 inhabitants in 2010; 448
sq. km) is located in northern Paraná, on the border with São Paulo State,
360 km of Curitiba. The municipality is crossed by the Tropic of Capricorn.
The municipality is made of the town of Carlópolis proper and of the district
of Nova Brasília do Itararé, established by State Law No. 4,795 of 9 December
1963. Carlópolis was originally settled by gold and gem diggers from São
Paulo. The village, originally known as Jaboticabal, was made a district of
the municipality of São José da Boa Vista by State Decree No. 290 of 17
August 1901. The colonists developed coffee cultivation. Established by State
Law No. 713 of 2 April 1907, the municipality of Jaboticabal was renamed
Carlópolis by State Decree-Law No. 1,943 of 20 March 1920. The new name, lit.
Charles' Town, is a tribute to Carlos Cavalcanti de Albuquerque (1864-1935),
Governor of Paraná in 1912-1916. In the late 1970s, the building of the
Xavantes hydroelectric plant caused the flooding of 1/3 of the arable lands
of Carlópolis, whose population was divided by two. However, the man-made
lake and its scenic beaches became a tourist hotspot and a main source of
income for the municipality.
The symbols of Carlópolis are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 7 of 7 June 1982. The flag is blue with a darker blue disk in the middle, representing the pure and tasty freshwater, charged with a quartered shield. The first quarter is charged with araucaria [locally called "pine", but botanically distant]. An araucaria, surrounded by two smaller, unrelated trees is also shown in the first quarter of the municipal arms. The second quarter is charged with a yellow flag and a red flag. This seems to be a simplification of the second quarter of the municipal arms, which shows a white flag charged with a yellow cross, representing the Christian religion, and a Japanese flag, representing the main origin of the colonists. The third quarter is charged with a branch of coffee. In the municipal arms, a branch of coffee is placed sinister to the shield. The fourth quarter is charged with a branch of cotton. In the municipal arms, a branch of cotton is placed dexter to the shield. The shield is surmounted by a bird representing a blue jay, the "planter" [I understand "seed disperser"] of araucarias. The scroll bears the motto "Dignidade e Resistência" (Dignity and Resistance) surrounded by the years "1907" - the year of political emancipation - and "1957" - 50 years later. The dates also appear on the scroll placed beneath the shield on the municipal arms.
http://carlopolis.prefeituramunicipal.net/ws/geral/conteudo.php?id=7 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 12 February 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.