Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | cândido de abreu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Cândido de Abreu (15,018 inhabitants in 2019; 151,016 ha)
is located 400 km north-west of Curitiba.
The town's namesake is the politician Cândido de Abreu (1856-1918), who graduated as an engineer with the Escola Politécnica (Tio de Janeiro) in 1882. Cândido de Abreu was appointed at different successive offices connected with colonization; from 1887 to 1890, he served as Secretary General of Public Works for Paraná, with jurisdiction over 130,000 immigrants. Elected Mayor of Curitiba in 1892, he inaugurated street lightning and increased the local railway network. Elected Federal Deputy for Paraná in 1905 and Senator the next year, he resigned in 1913 when invited to be Mayor of Curitiba by Carlos Cavalcanti de Albuquerque, President (~ Governor) of Paraná. He retired from public life in 1916.
Centro de Pesquisa e Documentação de História Contemporânea do Brasil
The flag of Cândido de Abreu is green with a white horizontal stripe superimposed with a red stripe, starting from a white triangle placed at hoist and inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
1 February 2022
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.