Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | guarapuava |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 2 February 2022
The municipality of Guarapuava (183,755 inhabitants in 2021, therefore
Paraná's 9th most populated municipality; 316,809 ha) is located 250 km west of
Guarapuava was incorporated to the Kingdom of Portugal on 9 September 1770, during the first exploration of the Guarapuava Fields led by Lieutenant Colonel Cândido Xavier de Almeida e Souza and Colonel Afonso Botelho de Sampaio e Souza. Settlement started only on 17 June 1810, during the Royal Colonization Expedition commanded by Diogo Pinto de Azevedo Portugal, Antonio da Rocha Loures, and Father Francisco das Chagas Lima. The parish of Our Lady of Bethlehem of Guarapuava was established on 9 December 1819.
The description of the flag of Guarapuava, which was originally adopted on 22 November 1965, was corrected and rectified, in compliance with the principles of heraldry, by Law No. 860 promulgated on 1 July 1999.
The flag of the municipality of Guarapuava, designed by Sister Maria Auxiliadora P. Marcondes and heraldically adapted under the coordination of ESIMPAR (Enciclopédia Simbológica Municipalista Paranaense), is rectangular, blue, white and green, in proportions 14 units in width on 20 units in length, with the following characteristics.
a) The flag is composed of two equal fields shaped like a right-angled scalene triangle, separated from each other by a white stripe, the upper one, at hoist, blue, and the lower one, green.
b) The white stripe, of 5 units in width, which separates the blue field from the green one, starts from the lower right angle and runs diagonally to the the upper left angle.
c) In the center of the blue, upper right-angled scalene triangle is placed a yellow five-pointed Star of Bethlehem, the upper point pointing upwards, of 3 units in diameter. The star represents the light supplied by science, culture and civilization, which are ever growing in Guarapuava.
d) In the center of the white stripe is applied the coat of arms of the municipality, which represents the municipal government.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Guarapuava, designed in 1935 by David de Silva Carneiro, is prescribed by Law No. 859 promulgated on 1 July 1999.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Guarapuava, heraldically adapted under the coordination of ESIMPAR (Enciclopédia Simbológica Municipalista Paranaense), is composed of a Portuguese shield, in proportions 7 units in length on 8 units in width, quartered, with the following characteristics.
a) The upper right quarter, horizontally divided in two equal fields, celestial blue and green, portrays in brown Atalaia Fort with a yellow flag, recalling the origin of the settlement of the town of Guarapuava.
b) The upper left quarter, horizontally divided in two equal fields, celestial blue and green, features a brown "guara", or American wolf, passant turned to the right side, recalling the toponym "Guarapava".
c) The lower right quarter, horizontally divided in two unequal fields, celestial blue and green, respectively, features a brown bull turned to the right side, the head turned to the viewer. It represents cattle-breeding, one of the region's sources of income.
d) The lower left quarter, horizontally divided in two unequal fields, celestial blue and green, features three steps representing the three planaltos of the state of Paraná. On the highest step is located the town of Guarapuava, represented by yellow buildings surrounded by green, exuberant vegetation.
e) In the center, at the junction of the four quarters, a golden armillary sphere recalls the flag of the Principality of Brazil, at the time of discovery of Guarapuava plains, and a red cross of the Order of Christ.
f) The shield is surmounted by a white (argent) mural crown with four towers, only three of them visible in perspective view. This is the symbol of municipal authority.
g) The shield is surrounded right by a branch of yerba mate and left by a garb of wheat spikes, the two fructed proper, representing the main crops developed in the municipality. Between the shield and the scroll, a green branch of Brazilian pine, placed horizontally, recalls the cycle that supported the growth of the region and of the state of Paraná.
h) Beneath the shield, a red scroll linking the branch of yerba mate to the wheat spikes, inscribed in black with "09 - 09 - GUARAPUAVA - 1770", that is, the toponym surrounded by its date of colonization.
i) Yellow represents mature spirit and symbolizes nobleness, magnitude and wealth.
j) Blue is the color of the sky; it symbolizes justice, truth, loyalty and beauty.
k) White is pure light. It symbolizes integrity, obedience, vigilance, peace and order.
l) Brown represents the soil. It is identified with the virtues and qualities described for black.
m) Black belongs to the domain of intelligence. It symbolizes prudence, vigor and honesty.
n) Green denotes faith. It symbolizes hope, liberty and power.
o) Red is energy. It symbolizes strength, courage and triumph.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 2 February 2022