Last modified: 2012-03-26 by ian macdonald
Keywords: piaui | piracuruca | star (yellow) | lozenge (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Joseph McMillan
The municipality of Piracuruca (27,548 inhabitants in 2010; 2,125 sq. km) is located in northern Piauí, 200 km of Teresina. Piracuruca, whose name means in Tupi-Guarani "the snoring fish", originates in the Sítio estate, established on river Piracuruca; the estate is probably much earlier than the church built in 1718, 1726 or even 1742 by the brothers Manuel and José Dantas Correia, considered as the founders of the town. The oldest document about the commune of Piracuruca dates back to 1760; the next year, the settlements was inhabited by 1,402 adults.
The "vila" of Piracuruca, part of Parnaí, was established on 6 July 1832 by the Regency and inaugurated on 23 December 1833. Piracuruca was made a "cidade" on 28 December 1889. The Decree, signed 43 days after the proclamation of the Republic, was Decree No. 1 issued by the first Republican governor of Piauí, Gregório Taumaturgo de Azevedo.
The flag of Piracuruca is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,273,
adopted in 1991.
The proportions of the flag should be those of the national flag.
Green, yellow and blue are the national colors.
The yellow star within a white star represents the municipality of Piracuruca within the State.
http://www.piracuruca.com/menu_texto.asp?codigo=42 - Unofficial portal
Ivan Sache, 7 March 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.