Last modified: 2015-05-07 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: río negro | provincia de río negro | rio colorado |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Province of Río Negro is administratively divided in 13 departments. Inside the departments there are municipalities of two kinds: Municipios and Comisiones de Fomento.
Francisco Gregoric, 21 Oct 2014
The municipality of Cinco Saltos (17,739 inhabitants) is located in
the General Roca Department, in the north of the Río Negro Province.
Cinco Saltos was founded in the beginning of the 20th century; the meeting of the local assembly organized on 10 November 1914 is considered as the official act of foundation of the town. Early attempts of colonization of the area remained sporadic until the development of communications and of irrigation. The railway branch linking Cipolletti and Cordero was built in 1911. As prescribed by the National Law No. 3,727 of 1898, irrigation canals were built by the "Compañia de Tierras del Sud", founded in 1909. Completed in 1916, the Main Canal (130 km) brought water from river Neuquen.
Originally known as La Picasa, for a piebald mare ("picasa") spotted by the early colonists, the settlement was renamed Cinco Saltos (Five Jumps), for the five jumps made there by the Main Canal. Only four of them are still visible, the fifth jump having been broken out when the canal was completed.
The flag of Cinco Saltos was unveiled on 10 November 2011, during the celebration of the 97th anniversary of the foundation of the town.
The flag is white with a blue emblem representing the "picasa", for which the settlement was first named. The five hairs of the mare represent the five jumps, the modern namesake of the town.
Ivan Sache, 29 May 2012
The town of Río Colorado (11,314 inhabitants in 2001) is located in
the northwest of the Province of Río Negro, on the southern bank of
Río Colorado. The town is the capital and main settlement of the
department of Pichi Mahuida (14,026 inh.).
The flag of Río Colorado, designed by Yesica Verónica Campos, a 24- year old student in arts, was selected on 12 September 2012 among 30 proposals.
The flag is expected to be inaugurated on 10 November 2012, the Town's Day.
The lower part of the flag is clay brown, representing clay for which the river and town were named ("coloured").
The middle part of the flag is made of two celeste river arms, symbolizing force and belonging to Patagonia. The white fimbriations represent purity and freshness of the place and the resulting liberty.
The upper part of the flag is green, symbolizing aspiration to the growth of fruit cultivation and cattle breeding, representing fertile, productive and welcoming fields. It is charged with a yellow half sun, a reference to Belief and Faith, its rays protecting everything, supplying life, warmth and development of the fruits of rural activity.
Ivan Sache, 14 Sep 2012
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.