Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: gryfice | griffin |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
In 1262, throughout the German Ostsiedlung, Wartislaw III, Duke of Pomerania
founded a town of Lübeck law at the River Rega, to which he left 100 hooves
of land. After the death of Wratislaw III the settlement was called "Griphenberch"
(~ Griffinsmountain) after the coat of arms symbol of the Dukes of Pomerania.
In 1365 the town entered the Hansa and prospered due to the right of free navigation on the Rega.
A town wall was built and in the end of 13th century the construction of the St. Mary's church was begun. In a document of 1386 a latin school is mentioned, which is generally called the oldest in Pomerania. After the death of the last Pomeranian Duke and by the Treaty of Westphalia Greifenberg became part of Brandenburg-Prussia in 1648 and part of Imperial Germany in 1871. In 1818 the town became the capital of the Greifenberg district (Kreis Greifenberg).
In 1894 the town was connected to the railway line Altdamm - Kolberg.
On July 1, 1896 the Greifenberger Kleinbahn was opened, a narrow-gauge
railway today used as a railway Museum.
At the end of World War II Soviet Red Army conquered the town, approximately 40 percent of the town was destroyed by a fire. Following the post-war boundary changes, Greifenberg was renamed Gryfice and became Polish. Its German population was expelled and the town was populated with Poles, many themselves expellees from Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union. (wiki)
The Arms were confirmed and the new flag adopted on December 7, 2004
(resolution # XXII/180/2004).
"Arms: on a white heraldic shield a Pomeranian red griffin, turned to the right and holding in its talons a stylized gold lily.
The Arms underscore the rule of the Pomeranian princes over the area and are based on XIV Century city seals and the Arms of the Duke of Pomerania, Warcislaw III. Previous (medieval) versions of the Arms presented the griffin standing on the double lily and, later, standing on the waves of Rega River.
Flag: two color rectangular piece of cloth in the ratio 5:8 composed
of the equal horizontal bands:
upper - yellow and lower - red.
In the middle of the flag the Arms of Gryfice is placed.
The height of the Arms is equal to the width of one of the bands."
Chris Kretowicz, 26 Nov 2008
Image from the Gryfice website.
Gryfice is the main town of Gryfice county. German name: Greifenberg.
c. 12.500 inhabitants on the Rega river, NE of Szczecin. Founded in 1262,
member of the Hanseatic League since the 14th century.
REGULATION FOR CITY SYMBOLS
Arms of the municipality is Pomeranian Griffin of red color on the shield of white (Height to Length ratio: 5:4) holding a lily and with the legend: GRYFICE. Commercial use of the arms requires permission of the City Council of Gryfice.
Flag of Municipality of Gryfice is a rectangular piece of cloth in ratio 2:1, divided horizontally into 3 equal stripes,from top: blue,red and green, and arms of the municipality. The arms are placed near the canton. The flag of Municipality of Gryfice is raised on buildings or in front of buildings of the City Council or other municipal entities on the occassion of festivities, holidays and municipal anniversaries.Also, in other places where City Council meets, for the duration of such meetings. The flag of Gryfice takes precedent among other flags during all municipal events taking place on the municipality territory. In reference to other circumstances of flag usage not mentioned in above regulation,common law regulates its use.
Info from the Gryfice website.
Chris Kretowicz, 24 Jun 2001