Last modified: 2014-05-22 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: piura | santo domingo | peru |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
"Santo Domingo District is one of ten districts of the province Morropón,
region Piura in Peru. It has area of 187.32 km2 and population of 8,010."
The flag is shown on a district website. It is green with coat of arms in the center. It was created in 1987.
Valentin Poposki, 19 April 2009
The symbols were created in 1987, upon request of Mayor Jorge Ramos Yarlequé,
to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the foundation of the district. The flag,
green with the coat of arms in the middle, was proposed by the designer of the
coat of arms and unanimuously adopted by the District Council.
Green represents the human hope and the creative energy of the village. Green is also associated with trees and forest, recalling the need to preserve and protect the forest resources of the district. Green also symbolizes the power of natural phenomena such as lightning and thunder.
The coat of arms was selecte after a public contest held in the district capital, Piura. Designed by the local painter Hernán Paita Salas, the winning design was officially presented as the district coat of arms on 4 November 1987. The main element of the arms is a red shield outlined in white and blue and charged with a church, symbolizing the Catholic faith; a farmer, symbolizing the main source of income in the district; and a stem of sugar cane, symbolizing the production of the local firewater ("aguardiente") and the other uses of the cane. The shield is surmonted by awhite horizontal scroll charged with the date of foundation of the district, "4 DE NOVIEMBRE DE 1887" (4 November 1887), in blue letters. Above the scroll, green mountains symbolizing the natural environment are placed under a blue sky, symbolizing the greatness of the infinite spaces. The landscape is surmonted by a white scroll charged with the name of the district in blue letters. Two fighting roosters stand on the scroll, recalling a local tradition. The shield is flanked by two yellow flags (?) with a green horizontal stripe.
Ivan Sache, 06 May 2009