Last modified: 2021-02-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: breuil-le-vert |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Breuil-le-Vert - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 4 January 2021
The municipality of Breuil-le-Vert (3,099 inhabitants in 2018; 737 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km east of Beauvais.
Breuil is a Celtic toponym. The village was successively known as Bruolium (1100), Brulium Comitis (1190), Bruolium Viride (Green Breuil, c. 1241, Bruelg-le-Vert (c. 1373), Brule-Vert (1631), Bruillevert (1793), and, eventually, Breuil-le-Vert (1801).
Brulium Comitis (The Count's Breuil) referred to the Counts of Clermont, then owners of the domain. When they left, the Count's epithet was dropped. In the 13th century, the village was renamed to Green Breuil, as opposed to the neighboring Dry Breuil (Breuil-le-Sec).
Ivan Sache, 16 January 2021
The flag of Breuil-le-Vert (photo) is white with the municipal coat of arms, including a cartouche at the top with the name of the municipality in black gothic letters.
The coat of arms, "Quarterly, 1. Gules papilloné argent semy of reversed trefoils of the same in each openwork a canton sable, 2. Azure a saltire argent cantoned with four martlets or, 3. Or five towers sable 2, 2 and 1, 4. Argent diapered gules a bordure azure", feature the arms of the four feudal lineages that were lords in 1373 of the four hamlets compossing Breuil-Vert:
The Fouilleuse lineage stems from Philippe, lord of Fouilleuse, recorded as alive in 1380. Among his descendants, Philippe de Fouilleuse, lord of Flavacourt, was Chamberlain and State Councillor of King Louis XI. The Fouilleuse were subsequently hereditary governors of Gisors; Philippe de Fouilleuse (d. 1656) was erected Marquess of Flavacourt. in 1635. Alexandre Philippe de Fouilleuse (d. 1734) was Marquess of Flavacourt, Lieutenant General of the King's Armies, Bailiff of Montfort-l'Amaury and King's Lieutenant at the Gisors bailiwick.
The arms with the canton sable, but without the trefoils, belonged to Guillaume de Fouilleuse, recorded alive in 1420. The trefoils appear to have been added, and the canton removed as well, by the aforementioned Philippe de Fouilleuse, Louis XI's Chamberlain.
[Armorial du Vexin]
The Armorial Général shows these arms for René de Fouilleuse (image), lord of Espaubourg, and Philippe des Fouilleuze des Flavacourt (image).
These arms form the dexter field of the arms of Charles de Fouilleuse (image) and of Louis de Fouilleuse, parish priest in St. Augustin (image).
Papilloné, a design rarely used in heraldry, refers to the scales of a butterfly (French, papillon). The Fouilleuse papilloné, arms are used on the modern coat of arms of municipalities once under their jurisdiction, such as Fouilleuse (with a tower or added in the canton sable), Ronquerolles ("Gules papilloné, argent") and Flavacourt ("Argent papilloné, gules semy trefoils inverted vert a chief argent two trefoils gules").
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 16 January 2021