Last modified: 2021-03-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: farébersviller |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Farébersviller - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 30 September 2020
The municipality of Farébersviller (5,509 inhabitants in 2018; 686 ha; Metz and 20 km west of Sarreguemines. Located at the heart of the coal basin, the municipality consists of two very different comonents, the village - the original place to the south -, and the mining city, created from 1954 by the Houillères du Bassin de Lorraine (HBL) to accommodate a large number of miners working in the nearby mines.
Farébersviller was first mentioned around 1365, as Ebersweiler, a name formed on a German anthroponym (Ebro > Eberhardt) and the Latin suffix "villare", "a farm". In the 16th century, the place name was increased to Ferewreichviller, subsequently transformed to Farebersswiler (1585), Fareberswiler (1607), and FarÃ©bersviller (1869). During the German occupation periods, the town was renamed to Pfarrebersweiler.
The local legend, however, claims that the village was the site of a violent fighting opposing a young bull ("Farre") to an old boar ("Eber").
Olivier Touzeau & , 2 October 2020
The flag hoisted on the Town Hall of Farébersviller (photo,
photo) is white with the municipal coat of arms, "Gules a crozier in pale or between two alerions argent in chief a boar sable armed argent debruised in base", rotated, the chief at hoist, the width of the shield being almost as large as the flag's width.
The red shield with the crozier and the alerions was the arms of the domain of Hombourg, now the arms of the municipalities of Hombourg-Haut. The boar, in German "Eber", makes the arms canting.
[Union des cercles généalogiques de Lorraine]
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 2 December 2020