Bestellen Sie Ihre Fahnen / Flaggen im Flaggen-Shop bei fahnenversand.de


Diese Website beschäftigt sich mit der Wissenschaft der Vexillologie (Flaggenkunde).
Alle auf dieser Website dargebotenen Abbildungen dienen ausschließlich der Informationsvermittlung im Sinne der Flaggenkunde.
Der Hoster dieser Seite distanziert sich ausdrücklich von jedweden hierauf u.U. dargestellten Symbolen verfassungsfeindlicher Organisationen.

This is a mirror of a page that is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website.
Anything above the previous line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.

Lorient (Municipality, Morbihan, France)

An Orient

Last modified: 2021-07-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: lorient |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Flag]

Flag of Lorient - Image by Ivan Sache, after the image shown by Agence Bretagne Presse, 31 October 2009


See also:


Presentation of Lorient

The municipality of Lorient (in Breton, An Orient; 59,264 inhabitants in 2006, therefore the fourth biggest town in Region Brittany after Rennes, Brest and Quimper; 1,748 ha; municipal website) is located between Quimper and Vannes.

In 1664, Louis XIV, upon Colbert's advice, founded the Compagnie française pour le commerce des Indes orientales (French Company for the East Indies Trade), mostly known as Compagnie des Indes (Indies Company), which was granted a 50-year monopoly on the Asian spice trade. Two years later, the seat of the company was set up at Port-Louis, a port watched by a Spanish fortress built at the entrance of a wide harbour made by the confluence of rivers Scorff and Blavet. Shipyards were set up at Faouëdic, a place located across the harbour. Among the first vessels launched from Faouëdic, the Soleil d'Orient (Eastern Sun) gave her name to the small settlement that developed around the shipyards, as L'Orient, subsequently Lorient.

A wealthy port involved in the trade of Asian spices, tea, fabric, silk, pieces of porcelaine and lacquerware, Lorient quickly superseded Port-Louis as the headquarters of several shipowners. In 1690, the Royal Navy set up a military administration at Lorient while the Navy shipyards and repairing workshops were transferred to Port-Louis.
The Nine Years' War (1688-1697) and the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1714) dramatically decreased traffic in the port. In 1719, the Scottish banker Law saved the Indies Company from bankrupt; the new Indies Company was granted a monopoly on trade with French counters in Africa, colonies of Louisiana and in the Caribbean, Indian Ocean and China Seas. From 1709 to 1730, the population of Lorient increased from 6,000 to 20,000 inhabitants. Granted the title of town in 1738, Lorient became the sole place of trade of colonial products in France and the headquarters of military shipbuilding. Mignot de Montigny wrote in 1752 "The Company gathers in Lorient its fleet, its troops and the whole of its trade." The loss of the American colonies (1763) and the bankrupt of the Indies company (1769) did not stop trade in Lorient.
In 1770, the king purchased all the shipyards of Lorient, transformed for military use, while several private shipowners developed trade in the Indian Ocean, The War of American Independence and the opening of the scheduled line Lorient-New York made at that time Lorient one of the four biggest French ports.
An attempt of resurrecting the Indies company in 1785 was suppressed five years later by the Convention. In 1791, Lorient was declared an exclusive military port.

In the 19th century, the port and arsenal of Lorient were increased by the Navy, which modernized and industrialized shipbuilding. The introduction of inventions made by the naval engineer Henri Dupuy de Lôme (born near Lorient, 1816-1885), such as the screw-propeller and the steel armour-plate for battleships, allowed the Lorient shipyards to be among the most innovative in the world. Employement in the shipyards increased from 1,500 in 1830 to 4,000 in 1870.
From 1880 onwards, Lorient developed an industrial fishing activity based on the recently set-up modern fish canning. Tin cans were produced in the neighbouring steelworks of Lochrist while electricity was supplied by river Blavet; the poor hinterland provided as many low- paid workers as required.
Lorient became the the second fishing port on France, and also a main coal-trading port. The population of the town reached 50,000 inhabitants in 1911. On the eve of the Second World War, Lorient was a wealthy military, fishing and commerce port.

In June 1940, following the invasion of France, Admiral Dönitz set up the headquarters of the German Navy in Lorient, transformed into the main base for the submarines scouring the Atlantic Ocean. Targeted by air raids, the Germans decided the building of an underground base. Achieved in 1943, the Lorient base, made of four blockhouses named Kéroman I, II, III and IV, could handle 40 submarines; it was the biggest military building site ever managed by the Nazis outside Germany. In January 1943, Churchill ordered to get rid of the base, so that the civil population of the town was evacuated. One month later, the town of Lorient, hit by more than 4,000 tons of bombs, was destroyed at 85% but the submarine base was hardly damaged. The Germans did not give up and the Lorient pocket was eventually liberated on 10 May 1945, two days after the proclamation of the armistice.
The rebuilding of the town, managed by the architect Georges Toury, started in 1943 but was fully completed only in 1964. In contrast to Brest, Le Havre and Saint-Nazaire, the town was rebuilt according to its original plan, with an association of building of "regional" and "modern" inspiration.

The submarine base, left untouched by the Germans, was reused by the French Navy and renamed for engineer Jacques Stosskopf (1898-1944). Of Alsatian origin, Stosskopf was the main engineer of the Lorient base. Everybody in Lorient, including the Germans, believed he was a zealous assistant of the Nazis and that his leave to Germany in February 1944 was a promotion. In fact, Stosskopf worked for the anti-German resistance network Alliance, to which he had forwarded secrete information on the German submarine mission for four years; he was indeed arrested and tortured by the Gestapo and eventually shot in the Struthof camp on 1 September 1944.
After having housed three generations of French submarines, the Lorient base, deemed obsolete and not suitable for nuclear-powered submarines, was decommissioned on 28 February 1997. Since then, the municipality of Lorient has set up different projects of development, with some parts open to the public (Kéroman III) and other conceded to private companies.

Ivan Sache, 31 October 2009


Flag of Lorient

The flag of Lorient was re-created in October 2009 by Skoazell Diwan - the association funding the Diwan Breton-speaking school in Lorient - , with the technical advice of Mikael Bodloré, Secretary of the vexillological association Bannieloù Breizh. The new flag was manufactured in 110 copies sold 25 € each.
[, 1 October 2009]

The flag is horizontally divided blue-red-green, with a white three- master sailing towards a quarter of yellow rising sun behind six white islands, the whole being placed along the hoist. The ship has the sails, the flag and the three masthead pennants charged with ermine spots.
This flag is a modernized version of the legendary flag of Lorient, today known only as a single copy offerred by the municipal administration to the Bagad Sonerien an Orient, which proudly marches behind it in festivals. Shown by P. Rault [rau99] (photo) and D. Kervella and M. Bodloré-Penlaez (drawing) in their respective books on Breton flags, the original flag differs from its modern sequel by a few details in the ship equipment and, mostly, by the design and placement of the sun and islands.

The flag is derived from the coat of arms of Lorient, "Gules sinister a three masted sailing ship dexter three mounts argent a sun in his splendour issuant or a champagne wavy vert a canton ermine a chief azure bezanty", which were ascribed by the Armorial Général (1744). The ship, dressed in the Breton ducal colours (ermine plain), is the Soleil d'Orient sailing to the Asian islands and sun (another soleil d'orient). The bezants symbolize trade and cash.

Ivan Sache, 31 October 2009


FC Lorient

[Flag]

Flag of the FCL - Images by Ivan Sache, 13 April 2020

The Football Club Lorientais (FCL; website) was founded in 1925 by Mrs. Cuissard, a wholesale fish merchant of Lorient, as La Mar&ecute;e Sportive (here, marée means "the fresh fish catch" and not "tide", as most commonly used), renamed on 2 April 1926 to Football Club Lorientais. In 1946-1947, Antoine Cuissard, the grandson of the club's founder, came back from AS Saint- Étienne together with the coach Jean Snella to help the FCL, then playing in Division d'Honneur, to re-emerge. Playing in a lower league did not prevent Cuissard to play with the French national team, a unique case up to now.
In 1967, the FCL adopted the professional status. The club played in the Second League until 1977, when it was relegated to the Third League and got bankrupted. Close to extinction, the FCL came back to the Second League in 1985 but was very often relegated. The first year of the FCL in First League, 1998, ended with a relegation and money shortage. Back to the First League in 2001, the FCL was relegated in 2002 but won the French Cup (1-0 against Bastia) and lost the League's Cup (0-3 against Bordeaux) the same year. FCL has been playing in the First League from 2006 to 2016; proclaimed Champion of the Second League in 2020, the club was promoted to the First League.
The legendary coach of FCL is Christian Gourcuff (b. 1955), coach and player in 1982-1986, coach in 1991-2001 and in 2003-2014, also the father of the French international player Yoann Gourcuff (b. 1986).

The club's official flag (photo, photo, photo, photo, photo) is tangerine with the club's emblem adopted in 2010.
The tangerine color was adopted in 1926 when the FCL succeeded La Marée Sportive, after the tangerine and black chequy sweater worn by Charlotte Cuissard, the president's sister, during the club's founding assembly. Charlotte Cuissard subsequently married Jean Nioche, captain of the FCL.
[ Histoire de maillots]

[Flag]

FCL supporters' flag - Image by Ivan Sache, 13 April 2020

The club's uspporters still use a square tangerine flag (photo) with the club's logo dating back to the club's foundation in 1926 and used until 1994, featuring a black, non-stylized hake fish. The hake refers to the club's origina nad nickname ("Merlus, "Hakes").

[Flag]         [Flag]

FCL supporters' flags - Images by Ivan Sache, 13 April 2020

Supporters also use two flags highlighting the club's Greton identity, a Breton Gwen-ha-Du with tangerine instead of white (Lorient-Toulouse, 11 August 2002), and a square tangerine flag charged with a big black ermine spot (photo).

[Flag]         [Flag]         [Flag]         [Flag]         [Flag]

FCL supporters' flags - Images by Ivan Sache, 13 April 2020

Supporters also use more conventional flags featuring the tangerine, black and white colors:
- plain tangerine;
- horizontally divided tangerine-black-tangerine;
- horizontally divided tangerine-white-tangerine with a black fimbriation between the horizontal stripes (photo);
- horizontally divided tangerine-black-white-tangerine or tangerine-white-black-tangerine (
photo, photo).

Ivan Sache, 27 April 2021


Yacht clubs in Lorient

Centre Nautique de Lorient

[Burgee]

Burgee of SRL - Image by Ivan Sache, 2 November 2009

The Centre Nautique de Lorient (CNL; website) was founded in 1950 as the Société Nautique de Kergroise (SNK) by Adolphe Pierre, a yachtman and ship designer who had refused to compete in the 1936 Olympic Games at Berlin. The club took its current name in January 1967.
The burgee of CNL is blue with the point horizontally divided red-white.

[Flag of CNL]

Flag of SNK, unconfirmed - Image by Ivan Sache, 2 November 2009

A leaflet released by the SNK-CNL shows the graphic representation of what could have been the flag of SNK, red with a swallow-tailed canton horizontally divided blue-white and the white italic letters "SNK" near the bottom of the flag.

Ivan Sache, 2 November 2009


Société des Régates de Lorient

[Flag]

Flag of SRL - Image by Ivan Sache, 16 October 2001

The Société des Régates de Lorient (SRL) does not seem to exist any longer.
Guide Vert Michelin Bretagne, edition 2001, shows a colour plate originally released by the SHOM (Service Hydrographique et Océanographique de la Marine), undated, on which SRL has a nearly square white flag with a canton made of a horizontally divided blue-red-blue, swallow-tailed flag.
The flag in canton is the arrondissement flag that was hoisted by civil ships registered in Lorient.

Ivan Sache, 16 October 2001


 
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.

Bei fahnenversand.de erhalten Sie eine Vielzahl an günstigen Flaggen, Pins und Aufnähern, zum Beispiel:
Fahne Libanon
 (150 x 90 cm) Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Fahne Ukraine
 (90 x 60 cm) Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Flaggen-Pin Niedersachsen Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Fahne Rüm Hart, Klaar Kiming
 (150 x 90 cm) Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Flagge NEIN ZUM KRIEG - NO TO WAR
 (150 x 90 cm) in der Qualität Sturmflagge Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop