Last modified: 2021-03-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: fleury-les-aubrais |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Fleury-les-Aubrais, current and former versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 8 November 2020
The municipality of Fleury-les-Aubrais (21,070 inhabitants in 2018, therefore the 3rd most populated municipality in the department; 1,012 ha; municipal website) is located just north of Orléans. Once a winegrowers and gardeners' village, the town developed around the railway station built in the middle of the 19th century.
The oldest known settlement in Fleury-les-Aubrais dates back to 1030.
Monks from the St. Benoît abbey, located c. 30 km east of Orléans,
cleared the forest north of Orléans and built a chapel dedicated to St.
Andrew. They named the neighbouring parish Fleury-sur-Loire
(Floriacum). Panted with vineyards and vegetable
gardens, the parish was known in the 11th century as Fleury-aux-Choux (Cabbages' Fleury).
In 1857, a big railway station was built at the junction of the three lines Paris-Orléans, Orléans-Tours and Orléans-Vierzon. The station was called Les Aubrais, for the neighboring hamlet. In 1907, upon request of the Municipal Council, the municipality of Fleury-aux-Choux was renamed Fleury-les-Aubrais by Presidential Decree. The population of Fleury-les-Aubrais was then 2,000. Railroad men represented more than a quarter of the active population of the town. From 20 May to 4 July 1944, Fleury-les-Aubrais was hit by five bombings aimed at the railways, which destroyed half of the town. In 1948, the city was awarded the War Cross with a Silver-Gilt Star.
After the Second World War, industrial parks were built along the railways while the railroad men's number decreased.
Ivan Sache, 26 March 2020
The flag of Fleury-les-Aubrais (photo, photo, photo) is white with the municipal logo adopted in 2009 (presentation) as a modification from the logo adopted in 2008. The URL of the municipal website was suppressed, the name of the town added, and a big red square appeared in the background the original graphic part.
Olivier Touzeau, 8 November 2020
Former flag of Fleury-les-Aubrais - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 26 March 2005
The former flag of Fleury-les-Aubrais (photo) was vertically divided green-red with a white lettering, "FLEURY-LES-AUBRAIS" in an semi-circular pattern and "LOIRET" horizontally.
Green and red are the colours of the town, whose arms are " Six pallets vert and gules Ã© chief azure three fleurs-de-lis or a label argent". The chief features the traditional arms of Orléanais, whereas the field recalls the ribbon of the War Cross.
Pascal Vagnat, Arnaud Leroy & Ivan Sache, 26 March 2005