Last modified: 2021-06-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: sucé-sur-erdre |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Sucé-sur-Erdre - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 17 May 2021
The municipality of Sucé-sur-Erdre (7,087 inhabitants in 2018; 4,133 ha) is located 15 km north of Nantes. The town, nicknamed "the Pearl of the Erdre", is watered by river Erdre, there part of the Canal from Nantes to Brest.
Sucé was first mentioned in the 10th century. At the end of
the Middle Ages and in the 16th century, the parish was split in two domains, one belonging to the bishopric of Nantes, who had a summer residence, the manor of Montretrait, and the other to the lords of Blain, at that time a branch of the Rohan lineage. The Rohan domain included the Onglette manor and the Nay and Procé castles.
Sucé played an important role in the history of Protestantism in Nantes, insofar as the Rohan became Calvinists and protected their co-religionists. Given the proximity of Nantes, the Calvinists established a place of worship in Sucé in the 1560s. They established a temple in a group of buildings called the Cour Gaillard. After the publication of the Edict of Nantes (1598), Sucé was chosen by the Nantes Reformers to be their official place of worship, any Protestant public worship being prohibited within a radius of 3 leagues around the ramparts of the town of Nantes, whose inhabitants, supporters of the Catholic League and of the Duke of Mercœur in the 1590s, remained overwhelmingly hostile to the Protestants. Until 1685, Protestants from Nantes therefore came to Sucé every Sunday to attend the service. In 1677, the Bishop of Nantes ordered the destruction of the castle. In 1685, the Protestant cult ended following the revocation of the Edict of Nantes by Louis XIV.
In the 17th century, the Descartes family lived in the castle of Chavagne, following the remarriage of the father of René Descartes, who spent part of his childhood in Sucé. In 1793, the municipality of Sussé was created.
Olivier Touzeau, 17 May 2021
The flag of Sucé-sur-Erdre (photo)) is white with the municipal coat of arms, "Azure a bridge issuant from the sides on a wavy base, all argent a chief of the same a water lily leaf vert flanked by two ermine spots sable", and the name of the municipality above in ZapfChan MdIt BT font.
The coat of arms was adopted on 5 March 1981 by the Municipal Council.
The chief uses the colors of the arms of the Descartes family; it is charged with two Breton ermine spots surrounding a water lily leaf representing the Marshes of Erdre. The field features the heraldic representation of the bridge of Sucé (photo), built between 1869 and 1871, and waves representing river Erdre.
[Municipal website (archived)]
The Marshes of Erdre, registered as a Natura 2000 site, covers 2,700 ha of wetlands on both sides of river Erdre, in the municipalities of Nort-sur-Erdre, Sucé-sur-Erdre, La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Carquefou, Petit-Mars, Saint-Mars-du-Désert and Casson.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 25 May 2021