Last modified: 2016-05-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: hoyo de manzanares |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Hoyo de Manzanares - Image by Ivan Sache, 10 July 2015
The municipality of Hoyo de Manzanares (7,834 inhabitants in 2014; 4,518 ha; municipal website) is located in the north-west of the Community of Madrid, 40 km of Madrid.
Hoyo de Manzanares was one of the 22 councils that formed the Real de
Manzanares, established by Alfonso X the Wise to solve the territorial
quarrels between Madrid and Segovia, the two towns claiming the local pastures and woods. The domain was transferred to the Mendoza at the end of the 15th century.
During Philip II's reign, Hoyo de Manzanares supplied the new capital, Madrid, with wood and stones; the king enjoyed hunting boars in the forests of Hoyo. Immoderate clearings caused deforestation at the end of the 18th century, as related in the Descripciones forwarded by the parish priest to Cardinal Lorenzana.
The population of the town increased from 662 in 1940 to 1850 in 1950; this boom was explained by the establishment of the Engineers' Academy of the Army and of a sanatorium. The pure air and the protected mountainous environment of Hoyo de Manzanares attracted several people from Madrid for summer vacation.
Ivan Sache, 10 July 2015
The flag (photos, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo) of Hoyo de Manzanares is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 20
May 1999 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on
21 June 1999 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No.
145, pp. 57-58 (text) and on 14 August 1999 in the official Spanish gazette,
No. 194, pp. 30,320-30,321 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 2:3. Yellow from the upper right angle to the flag's midpoint, red from the lower left angle to the flag's midpoint, the two crossed from the hoist's upper angle to the fly's lower angle by a green stripe in height 1/3. In the center is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed flag, which uses
the colours of the coat of arms.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2001, 198, 3: 560]
The coat of arms of Hoyo de Manzanares is prescribed by Royal Decree
No. 2,310, adopted on 24 July 1982 and published on 7 September 1982
in the Spanish official gazette, No. 214, p. 24,156 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Argent two mounts vert ensigned by a cauldron sable, 2. Or a tree eradicated vert the trunk voided. Grafted, quarterly 1. and 3. Or the angelic salute "Ave Maria Gracia Plena" in letters sable, 2. and 4. Vert a bend gules fimbriated or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed arms, which were
designed from scratch, the municipality lacking any historical
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1983, 183, 3: 224-225]
The caldron is a reference to the Cena de la Caldereta, a festival
celebrated for ages on 9 September, now organized by the association
La Caldereta, incorporated on 1 December 1958, and proclaimed in 2011
a Festival of Tourism Interest by the Community of Madrid. The supper
prepared in traditional shepherd's caldrons (calderetas), is served
at 22:30 to more than 5,000 guests gathered on the main square of the
[La Voz de Torrelodones y Hoyo de Manzanares, 9 September 2014]
The tree represents an old elm, disappeared long ago, still the matter
of several legends.
The grafted part is charged with the arms of the Mendoza.
Diego Hurtado de Mendoza y Figueroa (1415/1417-1479), the elder son of
Íñigo López de Mendoza, First Marquis of Santillana, was made Duke of the Infantado (full title, "Duque de las Cinco Villas del Estado del Infantado") in 1475; subsequently, the Dukes of the Infantado were made first-rank Grandees of Spain, and were therefore allowed to wear
their hat in the presence of the king. Íñigo de Arteaga y Martín (b. 1941) is the 19th Duke of the Infantado.
"Vert a bend gules fimbriated or" are the oldest known arms of Mendoza; subsequently modified several times, the arms always included a red bend on a green field. The arms quartered per saltire were introduced by the first Marquis of Santillana and appear on a seal dated 1440; the marquis quartered his father's arms (Mendoza) with his mother's arms (de la Vega). His descendants were known as Mendoza de Guadalajara or Mendoza de l'Ave María. In the representations of these arms, the first quarter is inscribed with "AVE MARÍA" while the third quarter is inscribed with "PLENA GRATIA" (or, at least "GRATIA").
[José Luis García de Paz (UAM), Los poderosos Mendoza website]
Ivan Sache, 10 July 2015