Last modified: 2019-09-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: puebla de don rodrigo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Puebla de Don Rodrigo - Image from the municipal website, 2 June 2019
The municipality of Puebla de Don Rodrigo (1,200 inhabitants in 2018; 42,487 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with Extremadura (Province of Badajoz), 80 km km north-west of Ciudad Real.
Puebla de Don Rodrigo depended on Piedrabuena after the Christian reconquest, being incorporated to the Campo de Calatrava in 1189. The
original name of the village was Casas de Guadiana or Cuevas de Guadiana
(Guadiana Houses / Caves).
Puebla de Don Rodrigo was founded in May 1472 by Rodrigo Tellez Girón, Master of the Order of Calatrava. In 1534, the town was incorporated to the Commandery of Bolaños, and, in 1563, to Rinconada de Almodóvar.
Rodrigo TÃ©llez Girón (1456-1482) was the second illegitimate son of Pedro Girón (1423-1466), 28th Master of the Order, and Inès de Las Casas. He was appointed 29th Master of the Order when aged 8, which required a papal Bull. An early supporter of Joanna la Beltraneja, he subsequently rallied the Catholic Monarchs. He was killed on 23 July 1482 by two arrows during the first siege of Loja.
Ivan Sache, 2 June 2019
The flag of Puebla de Don Rodrigo (photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 7
March 1995 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 17
March 1995 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 12, pp.
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Yellow. At hoist a red Cross of Calatrava, along the fly three full gyrons of the same color as the cross.
The coat of arms of Puebla de Don Rodrigo is prescribed by an Order
issued on 7 March 1995 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and
published on 17 March 1995 in the official gazette of Castilla-La
Mancha, No. 12, p. 1154 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Gules a castle or masoned sable port and windows azure, which represents the Kingdom of Castile, 1b. Argent a cross flory gules, the emblem of the Military Order of Calatrava, whose 29th Master founded the town in the Campo de Calatrava, 2. Per fess serrated or and gules (arms of the Tellez Girón, for Rodrigo Girón, Master of the Order of Calatrava, founder and namesake of the town). The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History rejected the proposed coat of arms. The use
of the arms of the town's founder and of the Order of Calatrava is
adequate, but the use of the royal arms of Castile "cannot be admitted",
since any other settlement that belonged to this kingdom could also
claim their use. The Academy suggested to amend the arms to "Per pale,
1. Argent a cross flory gules, 2. Per fess serrated or and gules. The
shield surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown". Such arms would be in
perfect coherence with the proposed flag, which the Academy validated
"without any inconvenience".
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 192:2, 346. 1995]
Ivan Sache, 2 June 2019