Last modified: 2016-05-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: prado del rey |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Prado del Rey - Image from the Símbolos de Cadíz website, 19 September 2015
The municipality of Prado del Rey (5,885 inhabitants in 2014; 4,858 ha; municipal website) is located 110 km north of Cádiz.
Prado del Rey is the site of the Roman town of Iptuci, which was located in the south of the modern-day town. Iptuci was a significant town, which minted its own coins and was mentioned by Pliny and other Roman historians. The Roman salterns of Cabeza de Hortales were indeed initiated by the Phoenicians.
Destroyed in 1113-1114 by Alfonso VII, Prado del Rey was eventually re-established during the recolonization of Andalusia ordered by Charles III. The Royal Provision of 29 April 1768 established 189 colonists coming from the mountains of Grazalema and Ronda; each colonist was granted a plot of 36 fanegas. Prado del Rey was subsequently famous for the Pajarete wines, which were awarded a prize in the fair held in Madrid in 1877, and brandy.
The main source of income is today leatherwork industry, which was initiated in Prado del Rey in the 1960s.
Ivan Sache, 19 September 2015
The flag of Prado del Rey, adopted on 26 January 2015 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 28 January 2015 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 2 February 2015 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 12 February 2015 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 29, p. 58 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular in proportions 3:5, divided into three vertical stripes of equal length. The two lateral stripes crimson red (CMYK 0-95-55-0) and the central white. In the center of the white stripe, the municipal coat of arms.
The flag was unveiled on 5 June 2015. The flag, selected in a public contest, was designed by Antonio Ramos del Pozo, Preferred Sun of the Town.
[Diario de Cádiz, 5 June 2006]
The coat of arms of Prado del Rey is prescribed by Decree No. 2,174, adopted on 16 August 1969 by the Spanish Government and published on 1 October 1969 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 235, p. 15,391 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Azure the cypher of Charles III or, 2. Argent two eight-rayed wheels sable in fess. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.
Charles III's cypher recalls that the town was founded by the king (Rey). A wheel is featured on the coins minted in the Roman town of Iptuci (photos). The coat of arms originally proposed by Delgado Orellana featured eight wheels or and a bordure gules, which were corrected by the Royal Academy of History.
[Símbolos de Cadíz website]
Ivan Sache, 19 September 2015