Last modified: 2020-04-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: la línea de la concepción | la altunara |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Línea de la Concepción, two versions - Images by Ivan Sache, 28 March 2019
The municipality of La Línea de la Concepción (62,697 inhabitants in 2013; 2,610 ha) is located 140 km south-east of Cádiz. The municipality is located on the western shore of the Bay of Algeciras, on the isthmus that links Gibraltar to the coast.
La Línea de la Concepción was originally a borough of San Roque. The name of the town refers to the línea de contravalación de la plaza de Gibraltar, a fortification line established between the fortresses of Santa Bárbara and San Felipe, 1727-1731. Aimed at the reconquest of Gibraltar from the Brits, the line was suppressed in 1810 during the War of Independence.
The municipality of La Línea de la Concepción was established in 1873, on the Day of the Immaculate Conception. Accordingly, the name of the place was changed from La Línea de Gibraltar to La Línea de la Concepción.
Ivan Sache, 29 March 2014
The flag of La Línea de la Concepción (photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo), which does not seem to have been officially registered, is horizontally divided blue-white-blue with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
An earlier version of the flag (photo, photo) had the coat of arms framed within the white stripe and the blue stripes of a slightly darker color.
The coat of arms of La Línea de la Concepción, which does not seem to have been officially registered either, is "Azure a wall or between two towers of the same port and windows gules over a base vert in chief a Royal Bourbonic crown. The shield surmounted by a Royal Bourbonic crown".
The fortifications recall the fortification line erected in 1727 by the Duke of Montemar, for which the town was named. These arms are found in the Sigillography Section of the National Historical Archives, dated 1876.
[Símbolos de Cadíz]
Flag of La Línea de la Concepción - Image by Ivan Sache, 29 March 2014
The flag is also used, in less official contexts, without the coat of arms (photo, photo, photo, photo).
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 28 March 2019
Flag of La Altunara - Image by Ivan Sache, 7 January 2019
The borough of La Altunara is a traditional fisherman's settlement, part of the municipality of La Línea de la Concepción. The borough is considered as a stronghold of the clans that control drug traffic in the Strait of Gibraltar.
The flag and arms of La Atunara, elaborate with the support of the Sociedad Española de Vexilología, were presented on 28 September 2013 during the General Assembly of the Atunara Vive association.
The flag (photo, photo) is horizontally divided reddish-brown - white - reddish-brown with the borough's coat of arms in the center.
The reddish-brown stripes represent Our Lady of Mount Carmel, the patron saint of the borough's mariners. The central white stripe features the color of the white-washed houses of the borough.
The coat of arms is "Azure a tower or masoned sable port and windows gules surrounded by two anchors argent in base waves argent and azure charged with a tuna [atún] argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed."
[EuropaSur, 28 September 2013]
Ivan Sache, 7 January 2020