
This page is part of an mirror of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
This website is devoted to the science of vexillology (the study of flags).
All illustrations presented on this website serve exclusively to provide information in the context of vexillology.
The authors and hosts of this site explicitly distance themselfes from any symbols of unconstitutional organizations that may be depicted here.
Last modified: 2021-12-11 by
klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: steingaden | griffin-lion | tower | ashlar |
Links: FOTW homepage |
search |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
mirrors
5:2
image by Jörg Majewski, 3 Dec 2021
It is a white-red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Dec 2021
Renaissance shield parted per pale, at dexter Gules a sinister facing griffin-lion Argent, at sinister Argent a tower Gules based on two ashlars of the same.
Meaning:
The municipality was established on 1 April 1939 by a merger of Urspring, Fronreiten and Lauterbach. Name giver was the Premonstratensian Steingaden Monastery, which had been founded by the Welfen kin. The griffin-lion, a lion with the head of a griffin, is the oldest apocryphal heraldic animal of the kin. Its members had been Dukes of Bayern. The griffin-lion is also part of the arms of the monastery since 1441. The tower on ashlars (local German: Gaden aus Stein) is a canting element and name giver of monastery and municipality. The tower is also part of the arms of the monastery since the 16th century. Its origin might have been a Roman watchtower.
Source: "Unser Landkreis Weilheim-Schongau", Bamberg 1986, pp.158-159
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Dec 2021
Banner and arms were approved on 12 May 1939 by governor (Reichsstatthalter) of Bayern.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Dec 2021
back to Weilhaim-Schongau cities and municipalities click here
Advertisement:
Bei Fahnenversand.de erhalten Sie eine Vielzahl an hochwertigen Flaggen, Pins und Aufnähern, zum Beispiel: