Bestellen Sie Ihre Fahnen / Flaggen im Flaggen-Shop bei fahnenversand.de


Diese Website beschäftigt sich mit der Wissenschaft der Vexillologie (Flaggenkunde).
Alle auf dieser Website dargebotenen Abbildungen dienen ausschließlich der Informationsvermittlung im Sinne der Flaggenkunde.
Der Hoster dieser Seite distanziert sich ausdrücklich von jedweden hierauf u.U. dargestellten Symbolen verfassungsfeindlicher Organisationen.

This is a mirror of a page that is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website.
Anything above the previous line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.

City of Brandenburg (Brandenburg, Germany)

Stadt Brandenburg an der Havel

Last modified: 2011-06-13 by german editorial team
Keywords: brandenburg | stadt brandenburg an der havel | triangle (blue) | triangle (green) | coat of arms: 2 | coat of arms (city gate: red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[City of Brandenburg (Brandenburg, Germany)] 3:5
by Jens Pattke and Stefan Schwoon
Flag used unofficially since 14 February 1990, adopted 26 May 1993



See also:


Description

The edges of the triangles seem to be at two thirds of the flag's length and height, respectively. Source: Staack 1997.

Stefan Schwoon, 14 February 2001

The current coat of arms was adopted on 14 February 1990, and is the revival of the coat of arms used 1901-1950, only without the year number "1701" under the crown. The union of Altstadt ("old town") and Neustadt ("new town") took place in 1701. German description:

Zwei Wappenschilde nebeneinander; Rechts der der Altstadt; links der der Neustadt.
Altstadt: in Silber eine rote viertürmige Burg mit offenem Tor und Fallgitter, die beiden mittleren Türme mit je einem Schilde belegt, im rechten der schwarze preußische, im linken der rote brandenburgische Adler.
Neustadt: in Silber eine fünftürmige Burg, in deren Torbogen ein Gewappneter mit geschultertem Schwert steht, der ein Schild mit dem roten brandenburgischen Adler vor sich hält.
A flag was unofficially adopted on 14 February 1990. Ratio is 3:5. The law on city flags was enacted on 26 May 1993, German description:
Die Flagge ist von rechts oben nach links unten dreistreifig diagonal geteilt in die Farben Blau-Weiß-Grün und trägt in der Mitte das gekrönte Doppelwappen der Stadt. Sie kann als Hiss- und Hängeflagge verwandt werden. Ihre Gestalt ist in anliegenden Musterzeichnungen festgeschrieben.
The Musterzeichnungen or construction sheets are shown below.

Jens Pattke, 4 December 2001

My translation of the coat-of-arms description:

Two escutcheons addorsed, dexter the arms of the old city, sinister the arms of the new city. Old city: Silver, a red castle with four towers xith open gate and portcullis, the two median towers covered with a shield, dexter the black Prussian eagle, sinister the red eagle of Brandenburg. New city: Silver, a castle with five towers, in the doorway of which stands an armed man with sword on shoulder, who holds a shield with the red eagle of Brandenbourg before him.
and of the flag description:
The flag is divided from upper right to lower left into three diagonal blue-white-green stripes, and is charged in the middle with the crowned double arms of the city. It can be used as a horizontally hoisted flag or as a hanging flag. The design of the flag is precised in the attached model of drawing.

Ivan Sache, 5 December 2001

From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The city of Brandenburg uses a rare combination of two shields. The left shield is from the Altstadt (old city) and the right of the Neustadt (new city) of Brandenburg. The old city was already mentioned in the 10th century, whereas the new city was founded in 1170. Both cities used since the 13th century seals with a city gate with several towers. The small shields on the arms of the old city are those of Preussen (black eagle) and the Counts of Brandenburg (red eagle). The knight in the gate of the arms of the new city also holds the arms of the Counts of Brandenburg. Both cities were fortified with walls and towers, but connected with a bridge. Since the 14th century there was only a single city hall for both cities, but only in 1715 the cities were formally joined. This was also reflected in the combination of the two arms into the new seal (...). Until 1950 the combination of the two shields remained the arms of the city.

In 1950 the city adopted new arms showing a large factory, symbol for the importance of the industry in the city. The shape of the factory was based on the historical gate, but with four large pipes rising behind the gate. The base showed the Havel river, on which the city is situated. In 1990 the historical arms were restored.

Literature: O. Hupp, 1897; Bensing et al. 1984; and information provided by the city of Brandenburg.

Santiago Dotor, 11 December 2001

The construction sheets mention HKS 47 for blue, which translates to RGB 0/172/211; that shade actually looks lighter than the one used in the construction sheet. The pictures above and below show the nearest browser-safe equivalent, RGB 0/153/204. HKS 64 (for green) translates to RGB 0/165/19 (nearest BS-equivalent 0/153/0).

Stefan Schwoon, 12 December 2001


Hanging Flag

Banner

[City of Brandenburg hanging flag (Brandenburg, Germany)] 5:3
by Jens Pattke and Stefan Schwoon
Flag used unofficially since 14 February 1990, adopted 26 May 1993

Construction Sheets

[Construction Sheet, horizontal flag (City of Brandenburg, Brandenburg, Germany)]

[Construction Sheet, vertical flag (City of Brandenburg, Brandenburg, Germany)]


Flag 1950-1990

[City of Brandenburg 1950-1990 (Brandenburg, Germany)]
by Jens Pattke
Flag adopted 28 April 1950, abolished 14 February 1990

This is the city flag with the arms in the German Democratic Republic era. The arms with chimneys and civic wall was used from 1950 until 1990. A new coat-of-arms was adopted 28 April 1950 (officially in city law of 29 May 1950):

In Silber drei rote Tortürme, verbunden durch eine Stadtmauer, zwischen den Tortürmen jeweils zwei rote, blau rauchende Schornsteine. Im Schildfuß sind Wellenbalken in Blau, Silber und Grün.
A flag was also adopted 28 April 1950 and was valid till 14 February 1990.

Jens Pattke, 4 December 2001

My translation: Silver, three red towers linked by a city wall, between each pair of tower two blue-smoking chimneys. Three blue, silver and green waves in shield tip. (Smoke looks black on the image.)

Ivan Sache, 5 December 2001


 
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.

Bei fahnenversand.de erhalten Sie eine Vielzahl an günstigen Flaggen, Pins und Aufnähern, zum Beispiel:
Aufnäher Flagge Neuseeland
 (8,5 x 5,5 cm) Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Flaggen-Pin Frankreich Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Flaggen-Pin Island Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Fahne Ungarn
 (90 x 60 cm) Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Autoflagge Iran Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop