Last modified: 2021-08-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: valle | colombia | cauca |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 17 April 2004
This department was formerly called "Valle de
Cauca". Modification of the flag adopted for Cauca when this
was separated from the Popayan province in 1811.
Jaume Ollé, 8 September 1996
The images of the flag and Coat of Arms of the Department of
Valle are located at the official
website. The flag is attributed to General José María
Cabal, who was in charge of the independentist forces of Valle,
who had an epiphany in which the Virgin
of the Immaculate Conception was carrying a celestial blue
and white cloth. So he carried this flag which was later adopted.
However the red color is mostly used on events when delegations
of the Department of Valle are competing in national sport
competitions, among other events.
The flag was first adopted on June 6, 1811, when the Ciudades Confederadas officially got Independence from Spain. The Ciudades Confederadas (Confederate Cities) where: Anserma, Buga, Cali , Caloto (now part of the Department of Cauca), Cartago, Iscuandé (now part of the Departmen of Nariño), Popayán (now part of the Department of Cauca) and Toro.
Sources: Government of the Department of Valle web site, Wikipedia.
E.R., 4 January 2004
image from <www.pablus.net>, located by Jarig Bakker,11 June 1999