Last modified: 2017-04-12 by rob raeside
Keywords: sainte-martine | quebec | fleur-de-lys | maple leaves |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 30 March 2017
The municipality of Sainte-Martine (4,966 inhabitants in 2011; 6,470 ha) is
located 35 km of Montreal and 20 km of Châteauguay.
Sainte-Martine was settled in the beginning of the 19th century by a few dozen of families. In 1880, 78 "inhabitants of Côte Saint-Féréole" required the erection of a Roman Catholic mission church in the site of "Pesche aux Saumons" (the site of the present-day's barrage). The mill, the church and the Pierre-Rousselle house were built in 1823 in the domain of La Pêche-aux-Saumons. The first population census, made in 1823, yielded 3,350 inhabitants and 617 houses, scattered over a vast territory spreading up to the border with the USA. After the Patriots' rebellion, a few houses and farm were burned down in 1838, while eight villagers were sentenced to deportation to Australia.
The municipality of Sainte-Martine was established in 1843 and made the
capital of the County of Châteauguay in 1854. The municipality split in 1937
following a dispute on the share of costs, into the village municipality of
Sainte-Martine and the parish municipality of Saint-Paul-de-Châteauguay, made of
the rural territories that completely surround the village. Reunification was
achieved on 8 September 1999.
http://www.municipalite.sainte-martine.qc.ca - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 30 March 2017
The flag of Sainte-Martine is white with the arms.
The arms of Sainte-Martine features green fields crossed by horizontal furrows, recalling the prominence of agriculture in the municipality. The wavy stripe crossing the fields represents river Châteauguay, while the blue gradient represents river des Fèves and river des Anglais, two tributaries of river Châteauguay. The sun above the fields associated warmth and radiation and highlight the potential of growth of the municipality. Maize, one of the emblematic crops in the region, is a noble and productive plant, as are the town and its inhabitants. The two leaves at the foot of the plant form a "M" for "Martine". The fleurs-de-lys in chief recall the French origin of the inhabitants. The motto "Travail et Fierté" (Work and Pride) recalls the constant work of the early colonists and of the present-day's inhabitants, their commitment and pride of the achievements and of the town. "Grandissons Ensemble" (Let Us Growth Together) represents the effort of all united towards a same goal, to build a pleasant town in constant growth.
http://www.municipalite.sainte-martine.qc.ca/cgi-bin/index.cgi?page=p1_0_1&langue= - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 30 March 2017
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.