Last modified: 2021-01-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: buckland | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Masao Okazaki, 15 December 2020
A photo of this flag was posted in the FOTW Facebook group by Luc Vartan
Masao Okazaki, 15 December 2020
The parish municipality of Notre-Dame-Auxiliatrice-de-Buckland (768
inhabitants in 2016; 9,660 ha) is located 30 km south-east of Bellechasse.
Canton Buckland was erected in 1806, allegedly named for English geometer William Buckland or English town of Buckland. Some say the place was named for bucks.
The first concessions were granted in 1846 and the first mission established in 1853. The first recorded pioneers are Édouard Girard, Marc Chabot, Antoine Chabot and Charles Carrier.
The parish of Notre-Dame-Auxiliatrice-de-Buckland was erected on 27 July 1882. The parish municipality of Notre-Dame-Auxiliatrice-de-Buckland was erected on 1 July 1885.
The upper part of the shield represents the mountains, especially Mont du Midi, and the rivers that water the municipality.
The spade and axe highlight the pioneers' work.
The book and the cross evoke the religious and educational institutions.
The buck recalls the abundance of game in the forests and Buckland's namesake.
The wheat spikes symbolize the significance of agriculture.
The maple leaves emphasize the significance of maple syrup production.
In the shield's center, "1857" is the municipality's year of foundation.
Ivan Sache, 16 December 2020