Last modified: 2021-01-02 by rob raeside
Keywords: ville d'aylmer | quebec | sail |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Luc Baronian
image by Luc Baronian
Ville d'Aylmer (1816-2002): Until 2002, when it was merged to the new Gatineau, the ex-city of Aylmer depicted a logo-based
flag on its website. James Croft however has an older flag with the coat of
arms on a white background. The logo won an excellence certificate in 1991 in
the Graphisme Québec contest. It features a sail animated by the natural
forces of wind and water and respects the past and present. Sky blue, powder
blue reflecting heritage and Deschênes lake, are in harmony with the green
representing the numerous green spaces in the city.
Luc Baronian, 9 May 2005
Aylmer was established on 1 July 1855 as a Village seceding from the Canton
of Hull. On 1 January 1975, the Town of Aylmer incorporated the Towns of Lucerne
(until 1964, Hull-Partie-Sud) and Deschênes (detached in 1920 from Hull-Partie-Sud).
On 1 January 2002, the Town of Gatineau was formed as the merging of the Towns
of Aylmer, Buckingham, Gatineau, Hull, and Masson-Angers, which formed the
Outaouais Urban Community since 1991.
- http://www.gatineau.ca/page.asp?p=histoire_cartes_statistiques/dates_importantes - Gatineau municipal website
Aylmer was from 1847 to 1897 the administrative capital of Outaouais. Colonized in the early 1800s and a popular place of vacation in the 19th and 20th centuries, Aylmer has kept the highest number of historical buildings in Outaouais. The town was founded by Charles Symmes, the nephew of Philemon Wright, the colonizer of Hull. The inn built in 1831 by Symmes and still standing allowed the travellers from Montreal to overnight before sailing to the northwest on the Ottawa River. In the late 1830s, Robert Conroy, a local timber tycoon, built the British Hotel, the heart of the social life in Aylmer for more than a century; following the great blaze that destroyed the town in 1921, the hotel was used as a church, school and court.
- http://www.gatineau.ca/page.asp?p=histoire_cartes_statistiques/patrimoine - Gatineau municipal website
The (former) arms of Aylmer were designed after the 1975 merging, incorporating elements of the former arms of the merged towns. The external geometric configuration of the arms represents the former arms of Lucerne. The fleur-de-lis representing Quebec is made of a sailboat, recalling that yachting is a main recreational activity in Aylmer, on a background of stylized waves, representing Lake Deschênes. The oak ("chêne") leaves and the oak acorns superimposed to the base of the fleur-de-lis comes form the former, canting arm of Deschênes. The golden lion in the lower left part of the shield comes from the former arms of Lucerne. The black cormorant in the lower right part of the shield comes from the arms of Aylmer.
- http://grandquebec.com/armoiries-blasons/armoiries-aylmer - Quebec heraldry website
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.