Last modified: 2017-05-12 by rob raeside
Keywords: ontario | huron east |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 12 April 2017
The municipality of Huron East (9,264 inhabitants in 2011; 66,926 ha) was
formed in 2001 as the merger of the townships of Grey, McKillop and
Tuckersmith, the town of Seaforth, and the village of Brussels.
They were once part of two areas of land called the Huron Tract and the Queen’s Bush. Tuckersmith and McKillop are just two of nine townships which were part of the million-acre block of land that was the Huron Tract. Four townships immediately to the north – Howick, Turnberry, Grey and Morris – were part of a large area of land stretching to Georgian Bay which became known as the Queen’s Bush. The British Crown purchased the Huron Tract from the Chippewa First Nation in 1825, and in 1836 negotiated a treaty with the Ojibway and Saugeen First Nations for the Queen’s Bush land.
The Canada Company, a land company formed in the United Kingdom, acquired its charter in 1826 and with it gained control of the Huron Tract lands. The first commissioner for the Canada Company was John Galt. From the beginning, Galt saw the Huron Tract as an agricultural settlement with the land owned by individual farmers. Settlers were attracted by the prospect of land. And, the land was and is one of the richest and best areas for farming in the country. Settlement slowly took shape, first in those townships which were part of the Huron Tract. In 1833 there were about 685 people living here. By 1839 the number of settlers in the Huron Tract had risen to 4,804.
The earliest township records, which indicate there was sufficient population
there, are for Goderich and Tuckersmith and date to 1835. McKillop became a
township in 1842 followed by Grey township in 1852. Lots were not for sale in
Grey Township, however, until 1854.
http://www.huroneast.com/ - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 12 April 2017
Vertical triband 1-4-1 blue-white-blue, in centre the municipal logo.
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.