Last modified: 2012-08-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: balmoral | new brunswick |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jens Pattke, 12 December 2010
Balmoral is an incorporated village in Northern New Brunswick. Special
thanks to Nadine for village logo and info.
Flag Inquiry Response: [translated] We do not have any photo of our flag, but our flag is white and it has only the logo of the village in the environment, therefore I'm sending you the logo of the village.
Nadine, Secretary, Village of Balmoral
http://www.balmoralnb.com [Website in French]
John S. Johnson, 12 December 2010
The Village of Balmoral (1,719 inhabitants in 2011; 4,353 ha) is located in
northern New Brunswick, close to the border with Quebec (Gaspésie). The village,
built along a single street, was officially recognized as the longest village
(16 km) in New Brunswick.
Balmoral was established in 1855 by Justin Drapeau. The early Acadian colonists were joined in the 1870s by English and Scottish immigrants. Although they did not stay very long in the village, the Scottish colonists named it for the Castle of Balmoral, owned in Scotland by the Royal family. The St. Benedict Parish was established in 1896. The Municipality of the Village of Balmoral was incorporated on 25 October 1972, with Lauréat Drapeau as its first Mayor.
- http://balmoralnb.com/fr/content/historique - Municipal website
The logo of Balmoral represents both its territory and its citizens. On the left, the wheat spike recalls the importance of agriculture in the beginning of colonization. On the right, the fish highlights a profuse source of food in the rivers. The circle made of (stylized) human beings represents unity and solidarity among the citizens, whose collective effort allowed the municipality to get durable infrastructure. In the middle, the (stylized, white) black spruce recalls the primary forest cleared by the first settlers in the 1850s. Still today, forest plays a key role in the economic development of Balmoral. Green represents the forest surrounding the village, used in professional and recreational activities. Blue represents water flowing in the rivers until Chaleur Bay, which is visible from the heights of the village. [The center of the disk in the middle of the emblem is indeed slightly "greener" than its outer border.]
- http://balmoralnb.com/fr/content/logo-et-mascotte - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 29 July 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.