Last modified: 2013-09-02 by rob raeside
Keywords: nelson | british columbia | kokanee | red fish | mountains | crown | mountain lion |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Vanja
Poposki, 10 July 2013
DESCRIPTION OF NELSON'S COAT OF ARMS
City Council formally resolved to adopt a Coat of Arms for the City of Nelson on January 29th, 1958. A Committee from the Chamber of Commerce was authorized to proceed in the planning and design of the "Arms" under the capable chairmanship of Mr. Arthur Foster of Nelson. The Committee, along with one or two local artists, contacted Mr. Alan B. Beddoe, of Cyrville, Ontario, recognized as the foremost authority on heraldry in Canada, to assist them in the design and to make application to Garter, "King of Arms", College of Arms, London, England.
The Coat of Arms was granted to the City of Nelson by Letters Patent by Garter "King of Arms", College of Arms, London, England, on the 20th day of June, 1958. The Coat of Arms was officially presented to the Mayor and Council on the 4th day of June, 1960 by the Honourable Frank M. Ross, C.M.G., M.C., L.L.D., then Lieutenant Governor of the Province of British Columbia.
Following the official presentation of the Coat of Arms in 1960, the City began the use of its "Arms" on the City's Seal, stationery, vehicles, etc., and in 1969 adopted its use for a City flag depicting the Coat of Arms centered on a white flag.
With the theme of "Forge Ahead" Nelson's Coat of Arms depicts the City's historical and geographical background. With the Coat of Arms is a hand lettered scroll bearing authority from the Royal College of Heralds of Great Britain for the adoption by Nelson of the design. The scroll bears the signatures and seals of the Honourable Sir George Rothe Bellew, Sir John Dunamace Heaton-Armstrong and Aubrey John Topping, the three Kings of Arms. The demi-mountain lion at the top, being one of the Royal devices, is used on the Coat of Arms in reference to the fact that Hugh Nelson, after whom our City was named, was at one time the personal representative of the Queen in British Columbia. It holds Canada's emblem, the maple leaf, aloft in its right paw. The mural crown represents Civic Authority. The pyramidal forms are indicative of the mountains surrounding Nelson. The ancient crown, in the centre, refers to Nelson being known as "The Queen City of the Kootenays", and shows deference to Her Majesty, the Queen. The wavy lines at the bottom represent the Kootenay River, and the fish between them is the Kokanee or Red Fish. The scroll work of the Coat of Arms is green and white (silver) which is Nelson's colour, and also indicates Hugh Nelson's Irish ancestry.
City of Nelson, BC
The image located in 2013 shows a bottom blue stripe bearing the name, and two green triangles on either side of the arms.
image by Blas Delgado Ortis
An earlier rendition of the flag featured the coat of arms on a plain white field.
image located by
Doug Bloudoff, 20 February 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.