Last modified: 2011-09-10 by rob raeside
Keywords: british columbia | langley |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Blas Delgado
"The original settlement at Langley City was known as "Innes Corners", and later was called "Langley Prairie" when the post office was transferred there in 1911. This was one of the many small communities established in the area, separated from other settlements by large tracks of farm land and bush. The construction of the Inter-Urban railroad (BC Electric Railway) in 1910 resulted in significant growth in the community.
The area along (Old) Yale Road developed into a major business and service centre and attracted trade from all over Langley. Continued growth resulted in the demand for higher levels of service in the community and on March 15, 1955, the City of Langley, with its current boundaries, was incorporated as a separate municipality."
CoA and flag info at http://www.city.langley.bc.ca/commun/coatofarms.htm
Dean McGee, 3 January 2003
Symbolizes the historic crossroads of Old Yale Road (Fraser Highway), Glover Road and the horizontal British Columbia Electric Railway. The blue star of Innes in the centre of the crossroads reflects the original name of this crossroads - "Innes Corners", after the prominent pioneer and landowner, Adam Innes.
Combines a mural coronet as a traditional heraldic emblem for municipal government with Maple leaves for Canada and Dogwoods for British Columbia. Above is a canoe, portage fashion to celebrate the MacMillan expedition of 1824. It is tinctured ermine to recall the region's early involvement with the fur trade. Above the canoe is a black half lion from the Scots heraldry for MacMillan. The lion is also a powerful symbol of strength of purpose. Here it symbolizes the spirit of the community and the determination of citizens to defend the City's interests represented by the City's flag.
Supporters & Compartment
The blue and white bars symbolize the Nicomekl River which flows through the City. The grass represents the lands of the City, especially its original fields, while the lilies represent the special natural heritage of the region. The elk also represents this heritage, with the horse honouring pioneers and the role of horsepower in early agriculture and industry. The garbs or wheat sheaves in the collars and on the elk's medallion recall Langley Prairie and agriculture. The cog wheel for industry appears on the horse's medallion. The bezants or gold coins are the traditional symbol of commerce.
"Strength of Purpose - Spirit of Community" The Flag The flag is composed of the elements of the shield, rebalanced to fit a horizontal rectangle."