Last modified: 2013-03-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | sao caetano | lozenge | coat of arms |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Blas Delgado Ortiz
According to the municipal
website, the flag of São Caetano do Sul was instituted on
28 July 1953 by law no. 346. The coat of arms is at the homepage of the
Dov Gutterman, 2 July 2001
The translation of the information quoted by Dov Gutterman from
the São Caetano do Sul website is "On 28 July 1953, when São Caetano do Sul celebrated the 76th
anniversary of its founding, the contemporary mayor, Mr. Anacleto
Campanella, approved law no. 346, creating the municipal flag."
António Martins-Tuválkin, 3 July 2001
According to http://www.camarascs.sp.gov.br/brasao.htm, "the coat of arms was designed and executed by Salvador Thaumaturgo in 1949, during the first municipal administration, and officially introduced by Law No. 72 of 10 March 1950, with the following description and explanation:
The shape of the shield, as required by the heraldic code, is the shape that Brazil inherited from Portuguese heraldry. The green represents the primeval field of Piratininga and the red the blood shed for its conquest, and by analogy the colors of the flag of the Italian peninsula, which furnished the main contingent of the founders of the old settlement, today a prosperous municipality. The golden gear, traditional symbol of industry, represents the present life of the municipality, one of the most important industrial centers of the country. The blue chief represents the ideology of its inhabitants and the Di Thiène family, and is the symbol of the municipality, representing Saint Cayetan Di Thiène, patron saint of the city. The golden mural crown is the symbol of municipal independence. The words on the blue ribbon recall the dates of the foundation and of the historic plebiscite that gave São Caetano do Sul its much desired emancipation."Reported by Dov Gutterman, 21 February 2002
The municipality of São Caetano do Sul (149,571 inhabitants in 2010; 1,536 ha) is located in São Paulo Metropolitan Area, 15 km of São Paulo.
São Caetano do Sul was founded on 28 January 1877, as the Colonial Nucleus of São Caetano Estate, established on land purchased by the Imperial Government. The colony originally covered 1,090 ha and was divided into 181 plots. A first group of Italian colonists arrived in San Caetano on 28 July 1877, which is considered as the day of foundation of the town. The colony was visited in September 1877 by Emperor Peter II. A second group of Italian immigrants joined the first colonists in 1878. The colony counted 251 inhabitants in 1883. San Caetano was transferred in 1901 from São Paulo to the newly established municipality of São Bernardo do Campo. The district of São Caetano was established by State Law No. 1,512 of 4 December 1916. A bill aimed at the municipal emancipation of São Caetano was rejected in 1929 by the Legislative Assembly. São Caetano was transferred in 1938 to the newly established municipality of Santo André; the next year, the town lost its name and became the 2nd Zone of Santo André. The municipality of São Caetano do Sul (for distinction from São Caetano, Pernambuco State) was established by State Law No.233 of 24 December 1948, following a plebiscite held on 24 October 1948, and inaugurated on 3 April 1949.
A photo showing the flag used during a parade of the municipal police
indicates that the "variant" is indeed the flag in use.
Ivan Sache, 18 February 2013
3 February 2013
The variant shows a white lozenge rather than a square on point.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 3 February 2013