Bestellen Sie Ihre Fahnen / Flaggen im Flaggen-Shop bei

Diese Website beschäftigt sich mit der Wissenschaft der Vexillologie (Flaggenkunde).
Alle auf dieser Website dargebotenen Abbildungen dienen ausschließlich der Informationsvermittlung im Sinne der Flaggenkunde.
Der Hoster dieser Seite distanziert sich ausdrücklich von jedweden hierauf u.U. dargestellten Symbolen verfassungsfeindlicher Organisationen.

This is a mirror of a page that is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website.
Anything above the previous line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.

Beaumont (Municipality, Province of Hainaut, Belgium)

Last modified: 2007-10-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: beaumont | castle (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Beaumont]         [Proposal of flag of Beaumont]

Municipal flag of Beaumont - Images by Arnaud Leroy, 12 June 2005
Left, flag in use
Right, proposed flag, not in use (castle after Servais)

See also:

Presentation of Beaumont and its villages

The municipality and town (Ville) of Beaumont (6,696 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 9,301 ha) is located in the northern part of the botte du Hainaut. The "boot" is a narrow piece of land (c. 25 km in width) vertically flanked by France (west) and the Province of Namur (east). Beaumont is located on the French border in the "bottleneck" of the boot, which is there 5 km in width. Note that there are no natural borders there and that you won't probably find oppressed when locked in the "boot". The municipality of Beaumont is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Beaumont, Barbençon, Leugnies, Leval-Chaudeville, Renlies, Solre-Saint-Géry, Strée and Thirimont.

The Salamander Tower (Tour Salamandre was built in Beaumont by Countess of Hainaut Richilde in order to watch the borders of the County; the fortress was increased by her followers, including Baudouin IV and Beaudouin V. The tower might have been burnt down in 1340, but protected efficiently the town of Beaumont (Bellus Mons, Belmont, Biaumont..., lit., "nice mount") in 1408 during the war with Liège and during the war fought by Duke of Burgundy Charles the Bold.
In 1453, Duke of Burgundy Philip the Handsome ceded the County of Beaumont to the Croÿ family, which transformed the fortress into a palace and the town into a small capital. Antoine, aka le grand Croÿ, was succeeded by his son Philip de Croÿ, Councillor of the Duke of Burgundy and by William de Croÿ-Chièvres, private tutor of Emperor Charles V. Charles de Croÿ, the most wealthy and famous member of the dynasty, was born in Beaumont in 1560 and spent most of his time there, until his dead in 1612.
The misfortunes of Beaumont started in 1632, when the plague killed half of the population of the town. Beaumont was besieged in 1637; in 1655, Turenne's troops entered the town and burnt it down; only thirty houses escaped the blaze, and the castle, the tower and the church were ruined. At that time, the town was surrounded with a 2.4 km long wall, protected by 30 towers and four gates. Today, 1 km of walls, seven towers and the smallest gate have been kept.
Beaumont is also known for its macarons (almond macaroons).

Barbençon was an important feudal domain. The feudal castle was replaced around 1675 by a castle in Louis XV style, plundered during the French Revolution. Around 1825, Jules Simonis built a hunting lodge nicknamed "the castle of Barbençon", which was completely destroyed by a blaze on 31 October 1966. According to Servais, the municipality of Barbençon was granted by Royal Decree on 4 September 1910 the arms of the Barbençon family, shown today on the flag and arms of Braine-l'Alleud.
The Great Fire (Grand Feu) of Barbençon celebrates every year the return of spring. On the Sunday following Mardi Gras, a big puppet called "winter man" (bonhomme hiver) is placed in an old cart filled with straw and small pieces of wood. The cart is pulled by a group of young men called saqueux. During the parade, the astoqueux attempt to stop the cart by placing big wedges under its wheels, whereas the destoqueux remove the wedges with long poles. At the end of the day, the winterman is sentenced and the last newlyweds of the year set up the Great Fire and everybody dance the "seven leap dance" (danse des sept sauts) around the fire. In the past, the Great Fire was preceded by a three-day carnival, where carefully disguised inhabitants of the village did a lot of forbidden acts: on the first day, the restoneux invited themselves in the houses and cooked pancakes for themselves; on the second day, the saligots poured buckets of slurry into the houses; and on the third day, the biaux visited th houses and the cafes of the village for free drinks.
The village fair (ducasse) of Barbençon is celebrated on 15 August, along with the pilgrimage to Notre-Dame-des-Lumières (Our Lady of the Lights), invoked against eye diseases.

Leugnies was a customs post. Under Maria-Teresia's rule, the country was divided into 21 customs department; the department of Beaumont was incorporated into the department of Chimay in 1761. In 1750, the Secretary Dupuy suspected that the chief customer in Beaumont was not very honest. The current customs post of Leugnies seems to date from 1925.

Renlies was known for the quarry of red marble of La Haie des Saules (the Willows' Hedge), founded in the last quarter of the XVIIIth century. In 1798, an inhabitant of Renlies purchased a former genever factory and transformed it into a marble sawmill. In 1833, there were 17 sawmills in Leugnies, powered by the river Sambre and its tributaries. The best saws had up to 18 blades. The Renlies quarry was modernized in the 1920s, with a motorized water pump and an helical wire use to cut the marble blocks. The quality of the marble was deemed too low in 1931 and the quarry was closed.

Solre-Saint-Géry is the only village of Beaumont which still has a bandstand, built in 1929 on the village square. In the past, the bandstand was a cart, so that music could be played in different parts of the municipality.

Strée was originally a Merovingian estate (casa), active in the VIIth century. The center of the village has kept the elements of the casa, replaced in the XVII-XVIIIth century by the farm of la Salle. The Merovingian oratory was replaced by the village church, consecrated in 1772. The farm of la Salle, built like a Roman villa, was used as the town hall for centuries, as well as a court (Cour de Strée) from 1490 to 1764. The farm produces today the Salloy cheese.

Thirimont is famous for its war memorial, called Le Petit Soldat (the Little Soldier), inaugurated on 30 May 1920. The monument was designed by Fernand Clignez, from Erquelinnes; the design is original because the soldier is not portrayed like a hero but like a humble defender of his country.


Ivan Sache, 28 May 2007

Municipal flag of Beaumont

The municipal flag of Beaumont, as confirmed by the municipal administration, is vertically divided white-red.
According to Armoiries communales en Belgique. Communes wallonnes, bruxelloises et germanophones, the Heraldry and Vexillology Council of the French Community proposed a banner of the municipal arms, red with a white castle.

Arnaud Leroy, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 24 April 2005

Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.

Bei erhalten Sie eine Vielzahl an günstigen Flaggen, Pins und Aufnähern, zum Beispiel:
Aufnäher Flagge Österreich
 (8,5 x 5,5 cm) Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Flaggen-Pin Litauen Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Flagge Moin Moin - Motiv 2
 (150 x 90 cm) Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Fahne des Landkreis Oberallgäu
 (150 x 90 cm) Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop Flagge Bremen mit mittlerem Landeswappen
 im Querformat (Glanzpolyester) Flagge Flaggen Fahne Fahnen kaufen bestellen Shop