Bestellen Sie Ihre Fahnen / Flaggen im Flaggen-Shop bei fahnenversand.de
Diese Website beschäftigt sich mit der Wissenschaft der Vexillologie (Flaggenkunde).
Alle auf dieser Website dargebotenen Abbildungen dienen ausschließlich der Informationsvermittlung im Sinne der Flaggenkunde.
Der Hoster dieser Seite distanziert sich ausdrücklich von jedweden hierauf u.U. dargestellten Symbolen verfassungsfeindlicher Organisationen.
This is a mirror of a page that is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website.
Anything above the previous line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.
Kingston, New York (U.S.)
Last modified: 2011-10-21 by rick wyatt
Keywords: new york | kingston | ulster county |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Description of the flag
From the city charter:
"Chapter 55, FLAG AND SEAL, OFFICIAL
[HISTORY: Adopted by the Common Council of the City of Kingston 8-7-1984 by L.L. No. 3-1984, approved 8-28-1984, as Ch. 55 of the 1984 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
§ 55-1. Design of official seal.
There shall be an official seal of the City of Kingston, New York, which shall consist of a circular device in the form of a disk with the words "City of Kingston, New York" at the top of the disk and the date " 1652 " at the bottom thereof. In the outer ring of the disk shall be the traditional olive branch. The pictorial symbols shall consist of the Senate House, a Hudson River sloop shown in full sail upon the river and the Catskill Mountains in the background with the sun rising above the scene.
§ 55-2. Design of official flag.
There shall be an official flag of the City of Kingston, New York, which shall consist of three equal and horizontal stripes, in colors of Nassau orange, white and blue, with a pictorial field emblazoned upon the center of the flag. This field shall be harmoniously incorporated into the total design and shall depict the Senate House, a Hudson River sloop in full sail upon the river, the Catskill Mountains in the background and the sun rising above the scene. These symbols shall be contained in white elliptical design with the words "Kingston, New York," in gold across the top of the ellipse. At the bottom thereof shall be a gold banner bearing the date "1652." On either side of the date and curving upward at the sides of the ellipse shall be olive branches to complete the design.
§ 55-3. Explanation of design.
The design of such seal and flag shall symbolize the following:
- The Nassau orange, white and blue stripes and general design stand for the flag of the Netherlands, under the sovereignty of which the City of Kingston was founded in 1652.
- The Senate House thereon commemorates the historical fact that the City of Kingston was the first official capital of the State of New York and the site of the creation of the State Government under the infant Republic in 1777.
- The Catskill Mountains connote majesty and permanence.
- The Hudson River sloop serves as a reminder that the river is a valuable aid to commerce and means of general early transportation. [Amended 12-16-1999 by L.L. No. 2-2000, approved 1-3-2000]
- The sun with its radial beams holds forth the promise of Kingston's gleaming future predicated upon its noble past.
- Kingston's dedication and devotion to the causes and blessings of peace are depicted by the olive branch.
- The design of the seal carries out the basic significance of the original seal of the city without radical departure therefrom and is emblematical, historical and harmonious."
Photos at: www.ci.kingston.ny.us/Assets/CityGovt/DCP_0477.jpg and www.ci.kingston.ny.us/Assets/CityGovt/Mayor.jpg.
Dov Gutterman, 28 November 2002
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.
Bei fahnenversand.de erhalten Sie eine Vielzahl an günstigen Flaggen, Pins und Aufnähern, zum Beispiel: