Last modified: 2012-03-20 by rick wyatt
Keywords: fremont | michigan | newago county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Valentin Poposki, 23 September 2006
The City of Fremont in Michigan, USA, uses the famous "Fremont flag" as its city flag. A short history from www.cityoffremont.net/web/documents/CityHall_history.pdf notes:
Because John C. Fremont was on a topographical expedition into areas claimed by Mexico, he chose not to carry a regular U.S. flag. Instead, his wife Jessie drew and made this flag using elements of design taken from the Stars and Stripes and Army regimental flags. The white canton featured twenty-six stars, outlined in blue, in two undulating waves above and below a blue eagle clutching in its talons nine blue arrows and a red and white peace pipe, the latter being a more recognizable sign of peace to the Native Americans than the classic olive branch.Valentin Poposki, 23 September 2006
The City’s use of this flag has several historical footnotes. The U.S. Flag from 1837-1845 contained 26 stars. Michigan was the 26th State to join the Union in 1837. John Fremont also used it during his expeditions, the 3rd of which was during 1845. Nine years later in 1854, Fremont, then Weaverville, was founded. When the area’s first postmaster, Daniel Weaver moved to Hesperia in 1862, the P.O. name was changed to Fremont Centre in honor of the Union army officer and explorer and because it was in the center of what was then Fremont Township. In 1875 the Village of Fremont incorporated. In 1887, the village’s borders were extended south to encompass Fremont Lake. Fremont became a City on December 4, 1911.