Bestellen Sie Ihre Fahnen / Flaggen im Flaggen-Shop bei fahnenversand.de
Diese Website beschäftigt sich mit der Wissenschaft der Vexillologie (Flaggenkunde).
Alle auf dieser Website dargebotenen Abbildungen dienen ausschließlich der Informationsvermittlung im Sinne der Flaggenkunde.
Der Hoster dieser Seite distanziert sich ausdrücklich von jedweden hierauf u.U. dargestellten Symbolen verfassungsfeindlicher Organisationen.
This is a mirror of a page that is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website.
Anything above the previous line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.
Easterlittens (The Netherlands)
Littenseradiel municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2011-02-18 by editor unassigned
Keywords: easterlittens |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 8 Sep 2003
adopted 1999; Design: J.C. Terluin and R.J. Broersma.
Easterlittens village (Oosterlittens)
Easterlittens (colloquially known as Littens, Dutch: Oosterlittens), a
village in Littenseradiel municipality, Fryslân. It used to be in
the former municipality of Baarderadeel.
Population: (1958): 566; (1974): 487. The church of Easterlittens dates
from the 12th century. Balthasar Bekker (1634-1696) was a vicar here from
1655-1666; his wife and four children are buried here. Bekker was fighting
the witch hunt raging in Europe in the 17th century. His book "De Betoverde
Wereld" (The Enchanted World) (1691/93) had a major impact on the abolishment
of the weird practices of burning witches, etc. Easterlittens is mostly
known for the tale of "It pealtsje fan Easterlittens", see the Littenseradiel
In the 17th/18th century a pig-market was held here. The number of
pubs in 1629 was quite impressive, but the authorities decided that the
number ought to be reduced to only one. Only the respectable tavern "Húlkenstein"
remained, a "waterherberg", where skippers and the people who had
to pull the ships could enjoy a glass of Coca Cola. Alas, in 1932 Hulkenstein
was pulled down, and there's no disco in sight :-(
Nickname: "Ropeinen" (decoy-ducks), "Einepiken" (ducklings)
(curious: no duck-cages to be found there)
Easterlittens coat of arms: divided 1. in silver a blue St. Andrews cross. II.
in red a golden peg; in base charged with a black pot and in the red on
both sides heightened with a golden penny.
Flag: a red hoist of 1/3 flag length, charged with from top to bottom
a penny of 1/5 flag height, a pot of 2/5 flag height, and a penny of 1/5
flag height, all yellow; a white fly charged with a blue St. Andrews cross,
with arms with 1/5 flag height.
Most of the symbols reflect the story of the peg, but the pennies also
refer to the old pig-market, and the customhouse of Hulkenstein, at the
junction of the Boalserter trekfeart and the Frjentserter feart (two canals).
That junction is represented in the chief of the arms. The colors are derived
from the coat of arms of Littenseradiel.
The flag has the same elements as the coat of arms.
Design: J.C. Terluin and R.J. Broersma.
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 2001
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958
Baerderadiel: in Geakunde, 1977
Jarig Bakker, 8 Sep 2003
Easterlittens coat of arms
from Wapens en Flaggen fan Littenseradiel, booklet of the municipality.
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.
Bei fahnenversand.de erhalten Sie eine Vielzahl an günstigen Flaggen, Pins und Aufnähern, zum Beispiel: