Last modified: 2011-12-16 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: hungary | komarom | esztergom | sur |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by István Molnár, 5 March 2003
Súr is a village in Komárom-Esztergom county in Hungary near
to Town of Kisbér (21 km south-west) at the North-Eastern edge
of the Bakony Mountains. The village has got 1360 inhabitants
(2001 census), nearly all of them are Hungarian. Neighbouring
settlements are Ácsteszér, Réde, Csatka,Bakonyoszlop,
Csetény, Szápár, Bakonycsernye, Nagyveleg and Aka villages.
The first mention of the settlement is from 1436 as 'SWR'. The village was devastated at the time of the Turkish war, later resettled with Slovaks, Germans and Hungarians. In 1880 309 (20,2%) of its inhabitants was Lutheran Slovak. In 1910 Súr was a village in the Zirc district of Veszprém County. Number of its inhabitants in 1910: 1774; 1683 (94,9%) Hungarian, 80 (4,5%) Slovakian 9 (0,5%) German and 2 (0,1%) Croatian by mother tongue, 1006 (56,7%) Roman Catholic, 710 (40,0%) Lutheran, 34 (1,9%) Calvinist and 24 (1,4%) Jew by religion. In 1950 the village was annexed to Komárom county.
Description of the coat of arms: The coat of arms of the village is a
standing shield with eight little corners divided into four
parts. In the right red field there is a gold drawing of the
Lutheran church was built in 1785, in the left blue field there
is a gold drawing of the Roman Catholic church was built in 1784.
In the center of the shield there is a silver stag-horn relates
to the forest and the stock of game and hunting. The three green
hills relates to the Hungarian CoA and the hills of the Bakony
Mountains. In the bottom blue field there is a silver fish
relates to the fishing lakes around the village. Below the shield
on a gold stripe there is the name of the village: 'SÚR'. The
coat of arms was designed in 2000 by designer Mr. Roland Sárkány.
The flag is white with two - green and gold - stripes on the flying edge, on the white field there is a coat of arms of the village. Ratio 1:2.
Sources: Photo of the coat of arms and description from the Mayor's Office of the municipality, historical data from <www.terseg.hu> (only in Hungarian)
István Molnár, 5 March 2003