Last modified: 2011-08-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: varazdin |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Varaždin - Image by Željko Heimer, 18 February 2003
The town of Varaždin (48,000 inhabitants in 1993) was the capital of Croatia in 1756-1776, afterwards Zagreb took up the role. Due to its highest development in time of baroque, the town is also known as the Baroque Town.
Željko Heimer, 12 August 1996
The symbols of Varaždin are described in the Town Statutes Statut Grada Varaždina (text), adopted on 1 July 2009 by the Town Assembly and published on 14 July 2009 in the Town official gazette Službeni vjesnik Grada Varaždina, no. 5, repeating the previous Statutes (2001).
The traditional flag of five red and white stripes has been in use at least since the mid-19th century; it is derived from the coat of arms.
Željko Heimer, 20 December 2009
Coat of arms of Varaždin - Image by Željko Heimer, 7 July 2004
The official representation of the coat of arms of Varaždin is taken from the original grant of arms from 1464, granted by King Matthias Corvinus, as was usual at the time combining together the seal and the coat of arms: Within a green square frame there is a smaller red square with golden-yellow ornaments within which is inscribed a circular ribbon inscribed "SIGILLVM MAIVS CIVITATIS WARASDIENSIS". Within the ribbon on partially green and blue ornamented background there is an angel guardant with golden-yellow hair with red wings and clad in brown. The angel holds in his hands a semicircular shield with four red and four white bars. In the center of the shield there is a square tower with entrance and windows and four smaller towers at the top and gray-blue tall pointed roof ending with a golden-yellow cross. On the third red bar is on the right a yellow six-pointed star and on the left a yellow crescent.
Željko Heimer, 7 July 2004