Last modified: 2012-10-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: seine-et-marne | emerainville | ermine (black) | roosters: 3 (red) | marne-la-vallee |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Emerainville - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 23 March 2004
The municipality of Emerainville (7,252 inhabitants; 743 ha, including
185 ha of woods and 100 ha of industrial parks) is located in the sector II
of the ville nouvelle de Marne-la-Vallée, built east of Paris. The
sector II is called Val Maubuée and includes the municipalities of
Champs-sur-Marne, Croissy-Beaubourg, Emerainville, Lognes, Noisiel and
Torcy. The municipal territories encompasses the territories of Emerainville
sensu stricto, Courcerin and Malnoue.
Emerainville was called in the past Emeriacum, Hermery, Hémery, Ermery, Emery etc. The origin of the name is obscure, maybe Germanic (Haim rich). The suffix -ville was added under the First Empire.
Courcerin (or Courcerain) was a small hamlet with 7-10 houses, which disappeared around 1700, although the toponym still exists.
Malnoue (Malenoue, Mala Noa, Malle-Noux) is the third part of the municipality and also has an obscure origin. Its name might come from the brook of Noue (from Latin noda / noa, wet land). However, the brook was called on ancient maps Grace and not Noue. Another explanation refers to the bad (mal) quality of the land, which was too wet to be arable and only used as a poor pasture. The Gaulish term nauda indeed refers to a wet land.
The main monument of Emerainville is the church Saint-Eloi, rebuilt in 1896. The church houses a statue of St. Eloi (558-660). Eloi was goldsmith and treasurer of kings of Franks Clotaire II and Dagobert (le bon roi Dagobert / Qui a mis sa culotte a l'envers - Good king Dagobert / who put his pants on back to front). In 641, he succeded saint Médard as Bishop of Noyon and Tournai. Saint Eloi is the patron saint of goldsmiths and steelworkers. Accordingly, he is represented with a hammer. In France, there are only two statues representing Saint Eloi raising his hammer, and one of them is in the church of Emerainville.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 23 March 2004
The flag of Emerainville, as shown on the municipal website, is white with the municipal greater coat of arms:
D'hermine au bâton mouvant d'azur passé en bande à l'écu d'argent posé en abîme, chargé de trois coqs de gueules, armés et becqués du même.
L'ecu timbré d'une couronne murale d'or à trois tours et accolé de deux branches de laurier du même.
Ermine a wavy baton azure per bend an escutcheon argent three roosters gules armed and langued of the same. The shield is surmounted by a three-tower mural crown of gold and flanked by two laurel branches of the same.
Ivan Sache, Pascal Vagnat & Olivier Touzeau, 23 March 2004