Last modified: 2012-05-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: finistere | crozon | kraon | lion (black) | lozenge (yellow) | ermine (yellow) | cross (green) | mascle (yellow) | rohan | cross (blue) | sant-hernot |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Crozon - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 3 November 2004
Crozon (7,881 permanent inhabitants, 30,000 in summer; 8,032 ha) is the
main municipality of the presqu'île de Crozon, a cross-shaped
paeninsula in western Brittany. Western Brittany end with three points,
from North to South, Léon, Crozon, and Cornouaille. Crozon is the most indented of the three points, with high sandstone cliffs separared by sandy schistosous beaches.
The village of Crozon is located in the middle of the peaninsula but the municipality territory encompasses a big proportion of the paeninsula (including the southern arm of the cross), making of Crozon the fourth largest municipality in France by its area. The municipality includes 155 villages and hamlets, 60 kms of coasts and 12 kms of beaches, the most famous of them being the cove of Morgat, located 3 km south of the village of Crozon.
Crozon (in Breton, Craon, Kraon or Kraozon) was known in 1162 as
Crahaudon. This name comes from the Celtic roots cravo, a stony place
and dunon, a fortified place (see also Verdun, Châteaudun, Dun, Lyon [Lugdunum], Dinan, Dinard...) Therefore, the name of Crozon has nothing to do with a cross (Breton, kroazh), as it could have been expected from the shape of the paeninsula.
The parish church of Crozon keeps a beautiful altarpiece from the XVIIth century. The altarpiece is made of 24 sculpted and painted wooden panels, relating the crucifixion of 10,000 soldiers converted to Christianism on mount Ararat under Roman Emperor Hadrian.
The great actor and theater director Louis Jouvet (1887-1951) was born in Crozon.
Every summer, the world music festival called Festival du Bout du Monde (End of the World's Festival) takes place in Crozon.
The resort of Morgat was launched in the beginning of the XXth century
by Armand Peugeot, who built there hotels for the holidays of the
executives of his company. Morgat is known for its beach and its
marine caves, especially the Chambre du Diable (Devil's Room) and the
A scenic coastal path (formerly a customers' path) going on the cliffs links Morgat to the cap de la Chèvre (Goat's cape), the end of the southern arm of the "cross" of Crozon, and goes further on the western side of the arm of the "cross" to the pointe de Dinan via the beach of la Palud. The château de Dinan is a huge rock linked to the mainland by a narrow natural arch.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 1 November 2004
The municipal flag of Crozon, as photographied by Hervé Prat, is white
with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The municipal coat of arms of Crozon is yellow with a red border, a black lion on the yellow field and three red lozenges with a yellow border in the red border. According to the municipal website of Crozon, it is based on the seal of the county of Crozon, dated 1525.
The motto, written in Gothical black letters on a yellow scroll placed under the shield says (in Breton): Etre daou vor, which means "Between two seas". It recalls the geographical location of Crozon, the two seas being the harbour of Brest (rade de Brest) in the north and the bay of Douarnenez (baie de Douarnenez) in the south.
According to Froger and Pressensé's Armorial du Finistère, the municipal arms of Crozon were adopted in 1977. They show the lion of Léon and the mascles of the familiy of Rohan, the former owner of the Viscounty of Léon. The coat of arms shown on the municipal flag is erroneous: the lion of should be morné, that is without claws and teeth.
Ivan Sache, 1 November 2004
Flag proposed for the paeninsula of Crozon - Image by Ivan Sache, 3 November 2004
A proposal of flag for the paeninsula of Crozon made by Bernard Le Brun is shown by Philippe Rault in his book on the Breton flags [rau98].
The flag is blue with a green off-centred cross bordered yellow. In canton, a yellow symbol is made of an ermine spot and a voided lozenge.
The off-centred cross recalls the geography of the paeninsula. The green colour stands for Parc Naturel Régional d'Armorique, to which belongs the paeninsula. PNR d'Armorique includes the islands of Ushant, Molène, Sein and the other uninhabited neighbouring islands, the paeninsula of Crozon and the Monts d'Arrée. The blue colour stands for the sea and the yellow colour for the beaches. The symbol represents Brittany (ermine spot) and the Rohan family (lozenges / mascles), once the local rulers.
Ivan Sache, 3 November 2004
Burgee of SHYC - Image by Ivan Sache, 27 February 2012
The Sant-Hernot Yacht-Club (SNYC) was founded on 18 September 2006 in
Crozon. The club is named for the village of Saint-Hernot
(Breton, Sant-Hernot), located south of Morgat.
The burgee of SNYC, offered for sale on the club's website, is light blue with a yellow border and a dark blue cross throughout. A yellow disk is placed on the lower arm of the cross. The disk would, more or less, represent the geographical location of Saint-Hernot.
Ivan Sache, 27 February 2012