Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: olula de castro | diagonal: ascending (white-green) | tree (white) | lamb: statant (white) | goat: statant (white) | bushes: 3 (yellow) | bush: esparto | crown: royal (closed) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Wikipedia User:Miguillen, modified by Ivan Sache, 07 Jul 2009
The municipality of Olula de Castro (215 inhabitants in 2008; 3,400 ha) is located in the Sierra del Filabres (1,010 m asl), 50 km north of Almería.
Like the other villages of the Sierra del Filabres, Olula de Castro was settled in the 7th-8th centuries by Romanized, Christian Berbers known as Yarawas. After the conquest of Almería, most villagers rallied to King Alfonso VII who commissioned them to resettle the recently conquered valley of Ebre. The Sierra was subsequently resettled by Islamized Berbers, who founded some twenty villages that existed until the late 16th century, as recorded by the chroniclers of the Catholic Kings. The population of Olula and the neighbouring villages, as reported from 1505 to 1538, was totally Morisco. At the end of the Alpujarra Revolt, one half of the population was either dead or jailed. Nearly abandoned and ruined, Olula was slowly resettled from 1573 onwards.
Source: Website of the Youth Association of Olula de Castro
Ivan Sache, 07 Jul 2009
The flag and arms of Olula de Castro were approved by the Municipal Council on 26 October 2006 and submitted on 1 December 2006 to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed them by Decree on 20 December 2006, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 3 on 4 January 2008.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Serrated per fess, serration of five pieces and two half pieces 1. Azure a tree argent surrounded dexter by a lamb statant argent and sinister by a goat statant of the same. 2. Vert rocks argent issuant from the base surmounted by three esparto bushes or. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown closed.
Flag: Panel in proportions 3:2 (length per hoist), diagonally divided by a line starting from lower hoist and reaching upper fly in two equal parts: the upper white and the lower green, on the white stripe, at hoist, the municipal coat of arms.
The symbols should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with their official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not apprended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA No. 3, p. 22, 04 Jan 2008 [PDF]
Ivan Sache, 07 Jul 2009