Last modified: 2010-11-06 by jarig bakker
Keywords: landkreis donauwörth | donauwörth county | coat of arms: per pale (panther: red) | coat of arms: per pale (cross: lorraine) | coat of arms: per pale (crown: yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 7th January 1964, abolished 30th June 1972
Red-yellow-blue, adopted 07.01.1964. The county was united during the 1972 municipal reform with Nördlingen county and the (up to then independent) city of Nördlingen to form the present county Donau-Ries. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 22 August 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on January 7, 1964.
A large part of the [administrative] county historically was the County of Sualafeld. This County was first ruled by the Counts of Graisbach-Lechsgemünd, who in 1342 were succeeded by the Dukes of Bavaria. The [heraldic] panther is taken from the arms of the Counts of Graisbach-Lechsgemünd, the lozenges are the arms of Bavaria.
The cross and crown symbolise the two free monasteries, the Imperial Abbey of the Holy Cross in Donauwörth and the Cistercian Abbey of Kaisheim.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 30 July 2003