Last modified: 2012-10-13 by pete loeser
Keywords: bavaria | bayern | kingdom of bavaria | koenigreich bayern | king | banner of arms | canton: lozengy | quartered: lozengy | lion: rampant (yellow) | escutcheon (sword and sceptre) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
2:3 Image by Theo van der Zalm and Santiago Dotor
Flag adopted 1806, abolished 1835
Znamierowski 1999 illustrates a very similar banner to the Standard of the Elector 1623-1805, the only differences being proportions (c. 2:3) and the escutcheon, which is red with a sceptre and sword crossed in saltire. It is labelled "[royal flag of] Bavaria 1806-1835".
Santiago Dotor, 14 September 2000
The lozenges are for Bavaria proper, the lion for the (upper) Palatinate (region between Nuremberg and Regensburg, note that the lion is crowned red). The escutcheon comes in fact from the royal arms of 1806. After 1835 it was officially no longer part of the royal arms. It is, however, used in the "new" royal arms of 1835 in "The Almanac of Arms of Ruling European Sovereigns" (Wappen Almanach der Souverainen Regenten Europas), Rostock, 1842. Source: Steenbergen 1862.
Theo van der Zalm, 16 June 2001