Last modified: 2012-01-20 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 11 November 2010
Colegio Santa Ana, located in Fontibón (Bogotá Capital District), was founded
in 1948 by Ligia Mendoza de Méndez.
The flag of Colegio Santa Ana, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided green-white. Green means hope, vision of triumph and continuity in duty. White represents ethical and moral honesty.
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 15 November 2010
Colegio Santa Ana de Flores is located in Simacota, Department of Santander.
The flag of Colegio Santa Ana de Flores, as shown graphically on the institute's blog, is divided white-green by the ascending diagonal. White represents peace and tranquillity. Green represents the natural resources and hope in a better future.
Ivan Sache, 15 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 14 November 2010
Colegio Santa Catalina de Siena, located in Maicao (Department of La
Guajira), is the main seat of Institución Educativa No. 3.
The flag of Colegio Santa Catalina de Siena, also used (by default) by Institución Educativa No. 3, is shown on the institute's website as horizontally divided white-red. White symbolizes peace and purity. Red symbolizes love. Peace and love are presented as the two words that fostered St. Catherine of Siena's life.
Ivan Sache, 14 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
"Escuela Normal Superior Santa Clara" is located in Almaguer (Cauca
Department). The flag of the institute, as shown on the institute's blog (photo),
is horizontally divided yellow-green.
Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 4 February 2009
"Colegio Santa Fe" was founded in 1953 at
Valledupar, Department of Cesar.
The flag of the institute, according to a photo and the description available on the institute website, is horizontally divided green- white. Green symbolizes hope while white symbolizes transparency.
Ivan Sache, 4 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
"Colegio Santa Isabel de Hungría", located in the Villabel borough,
Floridablanca (Santander Department), originates in the "Fundación Centro
Parroquial Villabel", founded on 28 February 1980 in the Santa Isabel de Hungría
(St. Elisabeth of Hungary) parish. On 25 November 1988, a secondary seat of "Gimnasio
José Alexandro Perralta", located in the Girón borough, was inaugurated in
Villabel. The institute took its current name on 25 October 1991.
The flag of the institute is described on the institute's website as "made of three colors: red, white and green, in three horizontal stripes, strictly identical to the stripes of the Republic of Hungary. The three colors mean: strength, sacrifice, purity and hope."
Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
"Institución Educativa 'Santa Juana de Arco'" (St.
Joan of Arc) is located at Santa María, Department of Huila.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the blog of the institute, is white with three blue and yellow fleurs-de- lis placed along the descending diagonal.
The flag, designed by Father Jairo Trujillo Polanco in 1975, is based on Joan of Arc's [alleged] standard. White symbolizes the purity of the saint. The fleur-de-lis, the French national flower [sic], is a tribute to Joan of Arc's motherland.
Ivan Sache, 4 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 9 June 2001
Colegio de Santa Librada - 1:2 (apparently), quarterly divided
green-white-white-green The flag is shown on <www.santalibrada.edu.co>,
located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 9 June 2001
"Colegio Distrital Santa Librada" is located at
Bogotá. The college is named after St. Librada (Liberata,
Livrade...), aka St. Wilgefortis, aka St. Uncomber, the patron
saint of women wishing to be "disuncombered" from
abusive husbands. Known as "the bearded virgin" but
without any historic background, the poor saint was removed from
the list of commemorated saints by the Roman Catholic Church in
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is slightly higher than wide, white with an aquamarine triangle pointing downwards charged with a white rising sun. An alternative interpretation of the drawing is a triangular light aquamarine flag with a white rising sun.
The sun represents light, energy, joy, commitment and solidarity of all the members of the institute. White represents peace, unity and the interest of the institute. Aquamarine represents tranquillity, future, strength and commitment to study of the students.
Ivan Sache, 18 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009
"Colegio Parroquial Santa Lucía" was
founded in 1987 in Floridablanca by Father Silvano Poletto,
parish priest of Santa Lucía and legal representative in
Colombia of the religious community of the "Siervos de la
Caridad" (Servants of Charity), a community founded by the
Italian priest Luis Guanella (1842-1915, blessed in 1964).
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is vertically divided blue-white-yellow.
Blue represents the natural environment, empathy and respect of the students for their surroundings, including humans and the ecological environment.
White represents the light protecting the college and enlightening our lives, as well as truth and transparency to be attained by the students.
Yellow represents the Catholic faith and religious education.
The flag can be seen on a photo, as presented by the band of the institute.
Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
"Colegio Santa Mariana de Jesús", located in Portería (Bogotá Capital
District), is managed by the Sisters of Mariana de Jesús, a congregation founded
on 14 April 1873 by the Ecuadorian nun Blessed Mercedes de Jesús Molina
The flag of the institute is shown graphically and described on the institute's website as horizontally divided "white-sweet red", that is pink.
Pink must be the color of the Sisters of Mariana de Jesús. During the beatification ceremony held on 1 February 1985 in Guayaquil, Pope John Paul II called Mercedes de Jesús Molina "the Rose of Baba [her birth place] and Guayaquil". She is locally known as "la Rosa del Guayas".
Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
image by Eugene Ipavec, 22 February 2007
The Industrial University of Santander is located in
Bucaramanga. The flag is apparently available on the home page of
Ron Lahav, 22 February 2007
Simple white/green bicolor; the shade of green is
specified as PANTONE 368c, CMYK 50:0:95:0, RGB 103:185: 62.
Eugene Ipavec, 22 February 2007
web site, we learn the meaning of the green colour. Green is
a bright colour symbolizing hope and a chromatic sign evoking the
opening of man towards all possible constructions, utopia, the
best for society, all implicit elements in the educative task.
Ivan Sache, 30 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
"Universidad Santa Rosa de Cabal" (UNISARC) is the
Colombian agronomic university. The "El Jazmin" campus
has a crop farms, a cattle farm, a fish breeding station and a
The flag of UNISARC is shown graphically and described in the UNISARC website.
The flag is horizontally divided yellow-green with a simplified version of the UNISARC emblem in the middle.
The colours symbolize the balance between knowledge (represented by yellow) and the natural environment (represented by green).
The hexagonal emblem stands for the six (economic, social, technological, cultural, environmental and political) issues addressed by UNISARC.
The bird, a goose displayed with spread wings, represents progress. On the emblem, but not on the flag, red fruits placed above the head and under the wings of the goose represent productivity.
Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 27 July 2010
Institución Educativa Santa Teresa is located in Argelia, Department of
The flag and arms of the institute are painted on a building's wall, as shown on a photography available on the Argelia municipal website. The flag must be (no real flag seen) horizontally divided light blue-red-black. The colours of the flag are taken from the arms (or the reverse). Source: http://www.argelia-antioquia.gov.co/sitio.shtml?apc=m1G12--&x=2202378
Ivan Sache, 27 July 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 31 January 2004
"Institución Educativa 'Santa Teresa de Jesús'"
was founded in 1909 or 1911 in Armenia, Department of Antioquia,
as "Colegio Oficial de Señoritas".
The flag of the institute, as described on the website of the institute, is vertically divided green-yellow-green.
Green represents hope.
Yellow represents the resources and strength of creative thinking.
The two green stripes also represent the natural environment while yellow represents bright mornings, with confidence into a future full of harmony and equity.
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2004
image by Ivan Sache, 8 January 2004
"Escuela Normal Superior Santa Teresita" was founded
on 25 February 1940 in Lorica, Department of Córdoba, by nuns of
the Community of St. Therese of the Child Jesus, led by sister
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided white-coffee brown. White represents loyalty, purity, clear thinking, peace, innocence and simplicity. Coffee brown is the colour of the Theresian doctrine, with its virtues of value, strength, prudence, gravity, heroic immolation, and generous and constant empowerment.
Ivan Sache, 8 January 2004 and 7 January 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 04 July 2011
"Escuela Normal Superior Santa Teresita" was founded in 1944 in Sabanalarga,
Department of Antioquia, by nuns of the Community of St. Therese of the Child
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided white-coffee brown. The same flag is used by other institutes managed by the same congregation (for instance, another "Escuela Normal Superior Santa Teresita", located in Lorica.
Ivan Sache, 04 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 5 November 2010
Colegio Santa Teresita was founded on 7 February 1954 in the borough of Las
Nieves, town of Baranquilla, by the nuns of the Community of St. Therese of the
The flag of the institute is shown on the institute's website as horizontally divided white-coffee brown.
The given meaning of the flag is exactly the same as for the very same flag used by another Theresian institute, Escuela Normal Superior San Teresita, Lorica.
It is therefore possible that several Theresian institutes, if not all, use the same "reneric" flag.
Ivan Sache, 5 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 6 January 2009
"Institución Educativa Normal Superior Santiago de
Cali" was founded on 12 February 1912 by the Assembly of the
Department of Valle del Cauca.
The flag, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided green-white-green with the emblem of the institute in the middle.
Ivan Sache, 6 January 2009
Faculty of Law and Political Sciences
image by Ivan Sache, 25 December 2002
Faculty of Law and Political Sciences, University Santiago of Cali - The image of the flag, shown
without comments on the aforementioned website, is a bit
problematic. The flag is made of three horizontal stripes,
blue-white-green, and a vertical pink stripe is placed along the
hoist. The overall proportion of the image is 100:222, but
excluding the vertical stripe, we have a 1:2 flag! The colours
seem also to be weird, especially the pink, but they are derived
from the University shield, which is shown with a blue field, a
green border and pink writings.
Source: <www.usaca.edu.co/derecho>, located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 25 December 2002
image by Ivan Sache, 18 November 2010
Escuela Normal Superior Santiago de Tunja, located in Tunja, Department of
Boyacá, dates back to Escuela Normal Nacional de Varones de Tunja, founded in
1870. This was part of a national program of refoundation of the Normal Schools
in the states' capitals, managed by the first German Mission in Colombia.
Classes started on 22 September 1872. In 1925, the institute adopted the "New
School" model, promoted by Rafael Bernal Jiménez in the Department of Boyacá
following a conference given by the educationalist Ovidio Decroly in Boyacá. The
reformed institute was the cradle of the Faculties of Educational Sciences
founded in Bogotá and Tunja, for women and men, respectively, part of the
Educational and Technological University of Colombia. Since then, Escuela Normal
Superior Santiago de Tunja has been an annex of the University. The institute
caters today 3,500 alumni scattered over three seats (Central, Jardín Infantil
and Parque Pinzón).
The flag of Escuela Normal Superior Santiago de Tunja is shown on a photo available on the institute's website as horizontally divided red-blue-white-blue-red (1:1:2:1:1). Blue means knowledge, white means purity and joy, red means watch. Oddly enough, a drawing shown just above the photo pictures the flag as horizontally divided blue-white-red (1:1:1, proportions stated in the companion text), the white stripe being charged with the black letters "E.N.S.S.T.".
http://www.ensst.edu.co/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&Itemid=105&page=inline&id=4628&catid=82&limitstart=12 - Photo, Student's Day, 2010
Ivan Sache, 18 November 2010
"Institución Educativa Departamental 'Santiago
Pérez'", based at Zipaquirá, Department of Cundinamraca,
was recognized on 29 September 1975, as "Colegio
Departamental 'Santiago Pérez'", by the Department of
Cundinamarca (Decree No. 31054); classes started on 1 February
1976. The current institute was formed on 30 September 2002
(Decree No. 3395) by the merging of "Colegio Departamental
'Santiago Pérez'", "Jardín Infantil 'Carrusel'"
and "Colegio Básico Portachuelo"
The flag of the institute, according to photos taken in 2008 and the description available on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided light blue-yellow-red (1:2:1) with the emblem of the institute in the middle of the yellow stripe.
The flag and arms of the institute were approved by the Rector on 5 August 1976 - but the flag is subsequently said to have been designed by teacher Fabio Restrepo Parra in 1977!
The colours are the same as on the flags of Colombia and Cundinamarca. Blue represents the celeste heavens and the crystalline waters of Zipaquirá. Yellow represents the resources of the soil, as gold mined by the first inhabitants and local, modern agriculture based on wheat cropping. Red represents the "torrents of blood" shed by the local martyres for peace, independence and liberty.
The emblem of the institute is circular, emerald green to represent the aspirations of the students and of the Colombian youth and the natural resources of the mountains surrounding the valleys of Zipaquirá, Ubaté and Chiquinquirá (that is, emeralds). The interlaced letters "C", "S", "P" and "Z" recall the name of the institute "Colegio Santiago Perez Zipaquirá". The white "Z" symbolizes the colonial, salt-mining town of Zipaquirá. The extreme parts of the letters mark the four main compass directions. The white ring surrounding the emblem represents candor and purity of the inhabitants of Zipaquirá and innocence of the students. "DPTO. DE CUNDINAMARCA" is written in golden letters on the ring.
This is how the emblem appears on the flag photographied in 2008, see for instance here.
The symbols' page on the website of the institute shows three different representations of the emblem, none of which exactly matches the emblem actually used on the flag, and a graphic of the flag with the most recent emblem, with letters "I", "S", "P" and"Z" reflecting the new name of the institute and the name of the department dropped from the border. See also photo gallery.
Ivan Sache, 7 January 2009