Last modified: 2011-11-27 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Universidad de Nariño is the descendant of a college founded
in 1712 by the Jesuits in San Juan de Pasto, to teach Latin,
Spanish and Religious History; the college was closed in 1767
when King Charles III decreed the expelling of the Jesuits from
America. The college reemerged in 1791 as Real Colegio Seminario,
transformed in 1822 into a military camp, PAsto supporting at the
time the Royalists. In 1827, the President of the Republic,
General Francisco de Paula de Santander, decreed the founding of
the Colegio Provincial; this was considered as a gesture of
reconciliation between the town and the power. The college was
renamed Colegio San Augustin in 1832, as a tribute to the
Augustinian monks that funded it. Colegio San Augustin is
considered as the true forerunner of the today's university.
Renamed Colegio Académico in the 1850s, the college was made a
university by Presidential Decree No 726 of 11 September 1889,
confirmed in 1894 by Decree No. 30 of the Assembly of the
Department of Cauca. The university was transfered to the newly
created Department of Nariño in 1904.
Source: University website - History.
The symbols of Universidad de Nariño were adopted on 17 October 1979 by Decree No 478 of the university's Board.
The flag of Universidad de Nariño is rectangular, with proportions 22:27 and usual size of 1.10 x 1.35 m. Made of three equal horizontal stripes, green, yellow and red, and charged in the middle with the university's emblem, the flag shall be hoisted on a pole of 2.50 m in height.
The emblem of Universidad de Nariño, designed by Pr. Dr. Ignacio Rodríguez Guerrero, includes the coat of arms granted to the town of San Juan de Pasto on 17 June 1559, described as: "A shield charged in the middle with a castle argent flanked by four lions or, below the castle a river wavy azure and white flowing between green trees, the field of the shield azure, the trees and the castle on a field yellow and a soil green and or..." The shield is surrounded by a yellow ring charged with the black writing:
- top: "TANTVM POSSVMVS QVANTVM SCIMVS" ("We do what we know", indeed, "Our capacity for action depends on how much we know", a quote of Francis Bacon [1561-1626])
- bottom: "NIVERSITAS STVDIORVM NARIÑENSES" (bottom). On the image, the name of the university is written as "UNIVERSIDAD DE NARIÑO"
Source: University website - Symbols.
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 30 January 2009
"Institución Educativa 'Nazario Restrepo'" was
founded by Priest Luis Diez Mesa in the Municipality of Viterbo,
Department of Caldas, on 4 February 1955, as "Colegio
'Nazario Restrepo'". The institute is named after Nazario
Restrepo, the priest who founded the settlement of Viterbo on 19
April 1911 by celebrating there a mass.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is green with a white star in the middle.
The text says that the original idea for the flag has to be credited to teacher Javier Patiño Hincapié, who designed a green flag of unspecified dimensions, crossed by a red arrow and the Latin motto "Sursun cum laetitia" (Quicker with joy), and a white star above the arrow.
The upper left part of the emblem of the institute shows on a green field a book surmonted by an arrow and a star, all white.
Green represents the hope placed by the community into the youth.
The white star represents the purity of the students' heart.
Note: The horizontally divided yellow-blue-yellow flag with a white star in the middle, shown on the front page of the website of the institute, is the municipal flag of Viterbo.
Ivan Sache, 30 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 18 January 2009
"Colegio 'Nicolás Esguerra'" was the first free
educational institute founded in Bogotá. In 1938, the Congress
issued Honour Law No. 35, whose Article 3 granted to the
institute the name of the the journalist, lawyer and diplomat
Nicolás Esguerra (1832-1923).
The flag of the instutute, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided green-white.
Ivan Sache, 18 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 10 January 2004
The College is located on Giron, Santander department. Its
flag is horizontally divided white-light blue (azul).
Source: <www.voluntad.com.co>, located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2004
image by Ivan Sache, 9 January 2009
"Colegio Adventisto del Norte" was founded in 1984
in Bogotá by the Seventh-day Adventist Church, as "Colegio
Integral de Enseñanza Cristiana", and took its today's name
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is white with two light blue and red rectangles placed along the hoist and the emblem of the institute in the middle of the flag.
The blue rectangle represents the Adventist education, projected to heavens.
The red rectangle represents the blood sacrified by Jesus for the reconciliation of mankind and God.
The white square represents a transformed life, symbol of divine justice and redemption.
The emblem of the institute is a symbol of faith representing the Christian philosophy and education taught in the institute. The shield is blue, bordered by a red pentagon outlined in yellow, representing the five continents covered by the Adventist teaching, charged with the black writing "COLEGIO ADVENTISTA DEL NORTE Bogotá D.C." The emblem is charged with a white triangle outlined in yellow and charged with the emblem of the Adventist Church, made of a golden flame representing the Holy Spirit, a white cross representing Jesus, and a green book representing the Bible, the base and source of all knowledge. The triangle is surrounded by the black writing "MANO" ("hand", left), "MENTE" ("spirit", right) and "CORAZÓN" ("heart", bottom), exalting the integrity of the Adventist teaching.
Ivan Sache, 9 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 31 January 2009
"Gimnasio del Norte" was founded on 31 October 2002
in Valledupar, Department of Cesar, by the educators Pedro Ángel
Daza Mendoza and Berenice Flórez de Daza.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is vertically divided light blue-white.
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 7 February 2009
"Gimnasio Norte del Valle" was founded on 6 July
1977 in Roldanillo, Department of Valle del Cauca.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-white-blue.
Ivan Sache, 7 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 3 January 2009
"Colegio Parroquial Nuestra Señora de
Chiquinquirá" was founded in 1964 by Priest Ernesto
Villegas in Bello, a municipality part of Greater Medellín,
Department of Antioquia. The institute is named after the
patroness of Colombia, Our Lady of the Rosary (see: <www.churchforum.org
The flag and coat of arms of the institute were created by Sister Teresita Mora in 1973.
The flag, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is blue with a white stripe in the middle, a "cristofer" (Cross of Lorraine) in its left part and three stars in its right part, all white. Blue and white are the Marian colours.
From the drawing, it can be guessed (but not ascertained) that the white stripe follows the ascending diagonal. The location and size of the charges are not straightforward: the stars, representing science, virtue and life, seem to be four-pointed, in increasing size from left to right; on the coat of arms, however, they are of equal size, five- pointed and placed along the ascending fiagonal. The "cristofer" represents the Archbishopric (I guess, of Medellín).
On the website of the institute, the image of the coat of arms is much less ambiguous than the image of the flag, which seems to have been directly derived from the shield, and should, therefore, have the same graphical characteristics.
Ivan Sache, 3 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 4 February 2009
"Instituto Nuestra Señora del Amparo" (INSA) was
founded in Bogotá by the Congregation of "Dominicas Hijas
de Nuestra Señora de Nazareth" (Dominican Daighters of Our
Lady of Nazareth). The congregation, founded on 25
March 1938 by Mother Maria Sara Alvarado Ponton (1902-1980) and
Friar Enrique Alberto Higuera Barrera (1906-1976), was
canonically recognized by the Holy See on 8 September 1975.
The flag of the institute, as described on the webpage of the institute, is horizontally divided white-green. White represents the devotion to the Blessed Virgin, translated as an invitation to live in purity and to build a pacific society. Green represents the aspiration to a better world and the significance of ecology for the students.
Ivan Sache, 4 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 1 February 2009
"Instituto Nuestra Señora de la Sabiduría para Niños
Sordos" (for deaf children) was founded by a French nun,
Mother Ives del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús, in San Juanito,
Department of Meta, on 17 March 1924. This was the first attempt
of specific education for deaf children in Colombia. President of
the Republic Eduardo Santos Teniendo Conocimiento ordered the
transfer of the institute to Bogotá, which was completed on 8
The institute is ran by sisters of the Congregation of the Daughters of Wisdom, one of the three branches of the Montfortian family. The three congregations originate in the Company of Mary, founded by St. Louis-Marie Grignon de Montfort (1673-1716, canonized in 1947), who has remained famous for his devotion to the Blessed Virgin.
The flag of the institute, as video-presented and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided dark (lit. "burned") yellow-white-green with the emblem of the institute in the middle. The dimension of the real flag is 2.50 m x 1.50 m.
Yellow represents the belonging to the universal church and the spiritual and philosophical resources of the Montfortian spirituality.
White symbolizes simplicity, peace, truth and the virtues that transcend all the acts in the life and allow the actions of the educational community.
Green represents thr commitment to conservation and preservation of natural resurces as well as hope.
The emblem of the institute, presented in the same way, is made of a yellow star charged with an icon of the Blessed Virgin, surmonting a King blue scroll charged with "Sabiduria" (Wisdom) in white letters and ending with two pink orchids, from which emerge three rays of yellow light charged with "Ciencia" (Science), "Fe" (Faith) and "Vida" (Life), respectively, all in black letters.
Blue is the symbol of happy life, dynamism, youth and search of happiness through daily meetings with Jesus' wisdom.
Ivan Sache, 1 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 3 February 2009
The Congregation "Hijas de Nuestra Señora de las
Misericordias" (Daughters of Our Lady of Mercy) was founded
on 11 October 1951 in Santa Rosa de Osos, Department of
Antioquia, by His Grace Miguel Ángel Builes Gómez, Bishop of
Santa Rosa de Osos. The congregation has today 30 houses in nine
The Congregation runs two educational institutes in Colombia, "Collegio Técnico Nuestra Señora de las Misericordias" in Santa Rosa de Osos and "Collegio Nuestra Señora de las Misericordias" in Soacha, Department of Cundinamarca.
The flag of the congregation, as shown graphically on the website of the congregation, is horizontally divided white-light blue, the traditional Marian colours.
Ivan Sache, 3 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
"Institución Educativa Nuestra Señora de las Nieves" was founded in
Guaitarilla (Nariño Department) by the priest Bernardo Arevalo Bolaños
The flag of the institute is shown graphically and described on the institute's blog as horizontally divided yellow-red with a white triangle placed along the hoist. Yellow represents the richness of knowledge. Red represents love, commitment, energy and strength. White represents innocence, peace and tranquillity of our youth.
Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
Nuestra Señora del Pilar - Chapinero" is managed in Chapinero, Bogotá, by the
Sisters of the Charity of St. Ann, a congregation founded in 1804 in Saragossa
(Spain) by Father Juan Bonal and Mother María Rafols. The institute, founded on
3 October 1949 by Mothers Julia Nasarre and Felisa Esandi, is dedicated to Our
Lady of the Pilar, enshrined in Saragossa by the basilica of the same name.
The flag of the institute (photo shown on the institute's website) is white with, in the middle, the coat of arms of the Sisters of the Charity of St. Ann, surrounded by the name of the institute ("COLEGIO NTRA SRA DEL PILAR") and surmounting "BOGOTA". The writing are in golden archaic letters. White is a symbol of purity.
The coat of arms of the Sisters of the Charity of St. Ann is the former coat of arms of the Royal General Hospital of Our Lady of Grace, located in Saragossa. On 27 October 1923, Mother Pabla Bescós required the authorization to use the former arms of the Hospital for the Order, which was granted "without any inconvenience" on 18 March 1924 by the Ministry of Justice. The lilies in the jar shown on the arms date back to the Christian Reconquest of Spain. In 1044, King of Navarra García found in Nájera a statue of the Virgin hidden in a cave, placed beside lilies in a clay jar. To celebrate the miracle, the king set up the Order of Chivalry of the Terrace, the oldest founded by kings in Spain, whose emblem would be a lilies in a clay jar, the whole on a white background, symbolizing the mystery of Incarnation. It became then common in Spain to represent in cathedrals Angel Gabriel saluting the Virgin with a vase of lilies. In 1403, Infante Ferdinand of Castile renewed this usage, asking his sons to bear the jar emblem. His son Alfonso V founded in 1425 the Royal Hospital, which was granted arms with the lilies in the jar. María Rafols and the first sisters who served in the Hospital used this emblem on their cloth; when the cloth was modified in 1969, the lilies in the jar and the crucifix were kept.
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 08 July 2011
"Institución Educativa Nuestra Señora del Pilar" is located in ?.
The flag of the institute, as shown (photo) and described on the students' blog as horizontally divided emerald green-ruby red-gold yellow-ruby red-emerald green. Green represents hope. Red represents love and fraternity, as well as victory and joy.Yellow represents ingenuity, creativity and intelligence.
Ivan Sache, 08 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 6 January 2009
"Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario" was
founded in 1654 in Arrayanes by the Dominican Friar Cristóbal de
Torres, with permission of King of Spain Philip IV. Torres
redacted the same year the "Constitutions" of the
institute, based on those set up for the famous institute of
Salamanca. Still forming the legal basis of the institute, the
Constitutions were amended only a few times, in 1893, 1930, 1974,
1984 and 1995.
The flag of the institute, according to a photo available on the website of the institute, is white with the emblem of the institute in the middle.
The emblem is made of the Cross of Calatrava, which is the emblem of the Dominican Order, surroundered by a rosary made of five groups of ten small blue grains each, inscribed in a wide blue ring charged with the name of the institute in white letters and a white Latin cross at the bottom of the ring. Designed by Father Torres, the original emblem has been submitted to various changes all over the history of the institute.
Ivan Sache, 6 January 2009
"Gimnasio Nueva Escocia", founded in
1982, is located in Bogotá. The name of the institute
was proposed by members of the board who had studied in Halifax,
the capital of Nova Scotia, Canada.
The flag of "Gimnasio Nueva Escocia" is described on the institute website as follows: "Its white background symbolizes the purity of the heart of the children and teenagers. The red stripe symbolizes love that should unite all of us and all members of the Nueva Escocia family. The blue stripe symbolizes the wide horizon offerred to the students."
There is, unfortunately, no image helping to decide how the colours are arranged on the flag.
Ivan Sache, 15 December 2008