Last modified: 2013-08-12 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by E.R., 16 June 2009
A while ago in May I spotted the ESAP flag shown on TV during
the ceremonies for their 50th anniversary.
The ESAP (Escuela Superior de Administración Pública, Public Administration Superior School) was established by Law 19 of November 25, 1958 and traces its origins as a response to several missions to the country made earlier, but mainly during the regime of General Gustavo Rojas Pinilla (1953-1957), among them a commission from the French Government (n.d), The Kemmerer mission (led by prestigious Economist Edwin Walter Kemmerer which lasted several years and went to several countries, and visited Colombia in 1923 to help establish the Central Bank, today known as Banco de la República) the World Bank Mission in 1949 led by Profesor Kerry, The Louchlin Currier mission (led by Canadian-born Economist, later U.S. naturalized citizen and then Colombian citizen after the U.S. denied to renew his passport Lauchlin Bernard Currie between 1949 and 1953), and also private foundations such as the Ford and Kellogg Foundations), in which some of their recomendations were to modernize the Colombian State Organization.
The ESAP is a Public University under the DAFP and helps in administrative tasks to educate people who are to work in the civil service.
It currently operates several branches around to cover the whole country as follows:
- Antioquia Chocó (located in Medellín)
- Atlántico, Magdalena, Cesar and Guajira (located in Barranquilla)
- Bolívar, Sucre, Córdoba and San Andrés Islas. (located in Cartagena)
- Boyacá and Casanare (lcoated in Tunja)
- Caldas (located in Manizales)
- Cauca (located in Popayán)
- Cundinamarca (located in Fusagasuga)
- Huila and Caquetá (located in Neiva)
- Meta, Guaviare, Guainia, Vaupés, Vichada, Amazonas (located in Villavicencio)
- Nariño, Putumayo (located in Pasto)
- Norte de Santander Arauca (located in Cucuta)
- Risaralda Quindío (located in Dosquebradas)
- Santander (located in Bucaramanga)
- Tolima (located in Ibagué)
- Valle (located in Cali
The flag is the ESAP logo on a white background.
Sources: ESAP official website, Spanish wikipedia.
E.R., 16 June 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 28 July 2011
A photo on the website of "Colegio Agustiniano de San Nicolás" shows such a
The "generic" emblem of the Augustinian Colleges has three basic components:
- a laurel crown surrounding the emblem, symbol of strength and heroism;
- a heart pierced by an arrow in the middle of the emblem, symbolizing love for God, for mankind and for the world, placed on an open book symbolizing science;
- a cross symbolizing the Christian ideal.
The Augustinian motto "Amor y Ciencia" (Love and Science) is inscribed on a ring inside the emblem, surmounted by the name of the institute. Ciudad Salitre, Norte, San Nicolas, Suba and Tagaste have a white writing on a red ring. Campestre and Floridablanca have a white writing on a blue ring.
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 15 January 2004
"Colegio Distrital 'Agustín Fernández'", located
in Bogotá, is named after Agustín Fernández (1879-1908), a
pioneer of telegraph in Colombia, murdered in Bogotá. In 1929,
his father, Francisco Javier Fernández Bello, offerred a plot of
land for the building of a rural school to be named after his
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-white-blue. Blue, on the first stripe, represents the light enlightening the way to knowledge, triggering creativity and facilitating communication. White represents peace, respect and tolerance. Blue, on the second stripe, represents love and knowledge transmitting energy and tranquillity.
Ivan Sache, 15 January 2004
image by Ivan Sache, 9 January 2004
The College was founded in 1983. Its flag is white with the
shield of the College in the middle.
Source: <www.voluntad.com.co>, located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 9 January 2004
image by Ivan Sache, 3 June 2001
Flag of Colegio Cooperativo 'Alejandrino Restrepo' is based on
Dov Gutterman, 3 June 2001
Colegio Cooperativo 'Alejandrino Restrepo' is located in the
municipality of Ciudad Bolívar, in
Colombia. The flag of the college is horizontally divided
orange-green. Proportion cannot be infered from the waving image
shown on the website. 2:3 used by default.
Ivan Sache, 3 June 2001
image by Ivan Sache, 29 December 2009
"Institución Educativa 'Alfonso Spath Spath' "
(INEDAS) was founded on 13 January 1993 (Municipal Decree No. 07)
at Martínez, Municipality of Cereté, Department of Córdoba.
The flag of INEDAS, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is in proportions 1:2, vertically divided in two equal parts, the first half being white and the second half horizontally divided green-red.
White represents cotton.
Green represents the maize fields. Red represents the joy of the youth.
Ivan Sache, 29 December 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 30 January 2009
"Institución Educativa Agroecológico Amazónico"
was created in the village of La Niña, Municipality of El
Paujil, Department of Caquetá, on 3 December 2003 (Decree No.
603), through the merging of "Concentración John F.
Kennedy", "Colegio San Luis Gonzaga" and
"Collegio Agroecológico Amazónico" (founded on 4
December 1995, Decree No. 1003).
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided green-white-blue (1:2:1).
Ivan Sache, 30 January 2009
image by Jairo Alonso Méndez Méndez, 14 November 2004
Colegio Americano Menno (La Mesa, Cundinamarca).
Jairo Alonso Méndez Méndez, 14 November 2004
image by Ivan Sache, 8 January 2004
The flag of the College is horizontally divided light
Source: <www.voluntad.com.co>, located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 8 January 2004
"Colegio Andino Bilingüe", located in San José de
Cúcuta, Department of Norte del Santander, was recognized by the
Department of Norte del Santander on 30 November 1998 (Decree No.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is green with the emblem of the institute, outlined in white and surmonting the white writing ANDINO BILINGÜE / SCHOOL.
Green represents life transmitted by the Andine region.
White represents unity and fraternity.
The emblem of the institute shows in the middle a circle representing the students, charged with a star representing the educational values of the institute. The dominant green colour of the emblem represents the natural environment of the institute. The upper part of the emblem is made of the upper part of an ellipse, in yellow, representing the sun, excellence and knowledge. The two green lateral parts have to be seen jointly, forming a heart, symbol of the human greatness, a main component of the philosophy of the institute.
Ivan Sache, 11 January 2004
image by Ivan Sache, 11 January 2009
"Institución Educativa Distrital Andrés Bello"
(IEDAB) was founded on 2 July 1953 (Decree No. 1719 of the
Ministry of National Education) as "Colegio Nacional de
Bachillerato Lucio Pabón Núñez". The name of the
institute was changed to "Colegio Nacional de Bachillerato
Sergio Arboleda" in 1957 (Decree No. 1052). "Instituto
Nacional de Bachillerato Andrés Bello" was created on the
same site on 9 February 1960 (Decree No. 437), followed by
"Instituto José María Obando" on 14 June
1973 (Decree No. 1164). On 29 August 1990 (Decree No. 1971), the
three institutes were merged in a new institute, named
"Colegio Nacional Andrés Bello" on 11 March 1991
(Decree No. 668). On 16 September 2002 (Decree No. 2853),
"Colegio Nacional Andrés Bello" was merged with
neighbouring "Centro Educativo Distrital José Joaquín
Castro Martínez" to form "Institución Educativa
Distrital Andrés Bello", eventually renamed
"Institución Educativa Distrital Andrés Bello" on 25
September 2004 (Decree No. 4702).
The institute is named after the humanist Andrés Bello (1781-1865), also a noted poet, philologist and lawmaker, credited of the Civic Code of Chile (1852, adopted in 1855 and subsquently adopted by Colombia and Ecuador), of the foundation of the University of Chile (1843), and of the first Spanish American Grammar (1847).
The flag of IEDAB, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is green with a white cross. The four quarters of the flag represent:
- the self-confidence of the members of the institute;
- the love for the institute;
- the love for the fatherland;
- the aspiration to knowledge and science.
Ivan Sache, 11 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
"Institución Educativa Ángel Cuniberti" (IEAC) was founded on 1 July 2003 in
Curillo (Caquetá Department) by Decree No. 252. The institute is named for His
Grace Ángel Cuniberti (b. 1921, Bishop of Florencia, 1961-1978), who visited
Curillo on 2 February 1964 and donated on 28 March 1964 28 zinc sheets for the
building of a new school (today a police station).
The flag of IEAC, as shown on a photo and described in the institute's website, is horizontally divided yellow-white-green with the emblem of the institute in the middle. Proportions seem to be 1:2. Yellow represents wealth. White represents peace, purity, integrity, transcendence and transparency. Green represents the vegetal resources and highlights our belonging to the Amazonian region. The flag shall be proudly hoisted together with the municipal and national tricolors in the national celebrations and in all institutional events, as a symbol of love and belonging to our institute.
The emblem of IEAC was designed by teacher Fredy Espinosa Agudelo. The shield is divided in three parts. On top is shown an open book charged with a computer, a drum and a pair of maracas, representing technology, computer science and cultural diversity. In the middle are placed the interlaced letters "IEAC", the acronym of the institute. In the bottom is depicted a beautiful landscape crossed by a river symbolizing the water resources available in the municipality and the services supplied by the rivers. The scene is lit by a radiating sun symbolizing the horizon guiding our institute. The scene is flanked by two golden spikes representing the agricultural resources of our region; in the middle, a torch is the symbol of the sports skills of our students.
The shield is divided by two horizontal stripes, the upper charged with the word "CIENCIA" (Science) and the lower charged with the words "TECNOLOGÍA - VALORES" (Technology - Values). These words highlight the aspiration to teach people useful for the community and prepared to assimilate the scientific and technological advances required for creative development and fundamental investigation with respect for human dignity. The shield is placed over a scroll with the colors of the institute's flag.
Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
image by Dov Gutterman, 18 April 2003
Image based on <www.tdea.edu.co>.
Dov Gutterman, 18 April 2003
image by Zoltan Horvath, 3 March 2011
On August 21, 2010 I saw the flags of the EIA (Escuela de Ingeniería de
Antioquia, Engineering School of Antioquia). The EIA has a flag which is a
horizontal navy blue with the
logo on the middle, encircled in a thin black outline. The Logo is an owl,
with the letters EIA, and below the full name of the University, plus their
motto "Ser, Saber y Servir" (To be, to know and to serve). However the flag has
the logo without the motto. Picture taken in 2010 by some University graduates.
A variant (earlier) flag is seen displaying the CoA of the University. Picture taken at a Campus event, most likely in 2003
image by Zoltan Horvath, 3 March 2011
The EIA was established in 1978.
For further information please see: EIA (official website): http://www.eia.edu.co/
Esteban Rivera, 2 March 2011
image by Dov Gutterman, 21 July 2002
Image based on <www.udea.edu.co>.
Dov Gutterman, 21 July 2002
The flag of the Department of Antioquia
is derived from the flag of the University of Antioquia.
Carlos Thompson, 23 March 2003
The flag is presented graphically on the university
website, with the following explanation:
- White represents the limpidity of customs, characteristic of the university life.
- Green recalls hope, permanent virtue and an optimistic horizon.
Ivan Sache, 20 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 17 February 2010
Instituto Departemental de Media "Antonia Santos"
CASD is the merger of two educational institutes situated in
Villavicencio, Centro Auxiliar de Servicios Docentes CASD
"Antonia Santos" (founded by National Decree No. 327,
19 February 1979) and Instituto Departamental de Media Tecnica
INDEMET (founded by Departmental Decree No. 481, 17 December
The institute is named for Antonia Santos (1782-1819), a guerilla leader in the struggle for independence, sentenced to death by the Spaniards and shot on 28 July 1819.
The flag of the institute has a background made of three colours placed vertically: green, white and orange. Green represents the immensity of our Colombian plains and forests; it is also the colour of the Department of Meta. White represents the permanent quest of God by the human being, the transparency of the human being in search of the values defended by the institute: autonomy, liberty, justice, solidarity, compromise, respect and honesty. These seven values are represented by seven silver stars surrounding the emblem of the institute placed on the white field. Number seven represents in the Bible perfection in the human being. Orange represents the daily rising of the sun, as a symbol of the Colombian East. It also alludes to the free men watching daily the sun.
The flag was designed by Andrés Felipe Niño Solano, student in 2006, grade 11-07, in Systems Administration.
The emblem of the institute uses the colours of the Department of Meta (see above). The three human figures with raised arms represents those who recieve knowledge, as the base of their subsequent development. The orange disk on the central figure represents the daily rising of the sun (see above). It also means that each person, while belonging to a social group, is unique and non repeatable, and realizes hismelf through its own effort. The immediate reading of the emblem is "a group of people united for the realization of a new society". The name of the institute is placed in the lower part of the rectangular emblem.
Valentin Poposki and Ivan Sache, 16 and 17 February 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
"Institución Educativa Antonio García Paredes" was established on 6 August
2003 in Popayán (Cauca Department) by Municipal Decree No. 139, merging "Colegio
Antonio García Paredes" and four other educational institutes. The institute is
named for the teacher and inspector Antonio García Paredes.
The flag of the institute is shown graphically on the website of the institute as horizontally divided white-red.
Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
"Institución Universitaria Antonio José Camacho",
located in Santiago de Cali, was recognized in 2007 by the
Ministry of National Education (Decree No. 963), succeeding
"Instituto Tecnológico Municipal Antonio José
Camacho" founded in 1993 by the Municipality of Santiago de
Cali (Decree No. 029), itself succeeding "Escuela de
Tecnología en Electrónica", founded by Tulio Ramírez in
1966. An "Instituto Técnico Industrial Antonio José
Camacho" had already been founded in 1933.
The flag of the institute is shown graphically and described on the institute website. The flag is horizontally divided blue-yellow-blue (c. 1:2:1) with a thin red stripe between the fields, and the emblem of the institute in the middle.
The emblem of the institute is made of a yellow shield charged with an open book and a flame, surmonted by a blue rising sun and crossed by two horizontal blue scrolls bearing the white writing FORMATION INTEGRAL / AL SERVICIO DE LA SOCIEDAD.
Ivan Sache, 20 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 10 January 2004
The College was founded in 1943. Its flag is horizontally
Source: <www.voluntad.com.co>, located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2004
"Institución Educativa Departamental 'Antonio
Nariño'" was founded in Bogotá in 1959 by the Department
of Cundinamarca (Decree No. 334) as "Colegio Departamantal
del Magisterio". In 1965, the institute moved to a brand new
seat and was renamed "Colegio Departamental 'Antonio
Nariño'" on 3 April 1965 (Decree No. 363).
On 9 April 1975, the institute was relocated to its present site at Canelón, Municipality of Cajicá, Department of Cundinamarca.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is in proportions 3:5, red with a white triangle placed along the lower edge of the flag and reaching its upper edge, The upper half of the triangle is blue and the emblem of the institute, with a crest made of five yellow teeth, is placed in the triangle.
The triangle represents the permanent and unidirectional projection forming the teaching process, involving three components: the students, the teachers and the supports of knwoledge. It symbolizes also equality, perfection and projection.
The sun symbolizes eternity, greatness, power, providence, nobleness, fame and magnifience.
Yellow symbolizes the sun and its traditional meanings: nobleness, wealth, power, light, constance and knowledge.
Blue symbolizes the sky and its traditional meanings: justice, truth, loyalty, charity and beauty.
Red symbolizes fire and its traditional meanings: strength, victory, temerity, highness and ardor.
White symbolizes the moon and its traditional meanings: purity, integrity, obedience, firmness, vigilance, eloquence and victory.
Black symbolizes the power and its traditional meanings: prudence, sadness, rigor, honesty and obedience.
The flag was designed by Humberto Gómez Contreras and Miguel Oswald Martínez Palacio.
The shield of the institute is quartered. The upper left quarter shows a portrait of "The Sphinx", the famous Antonio Nariño, after whom the institute was named. The upper right quarter shows the map of Colombia with a handshake, which means "Committed to the building of a better homeland". The lower left quarter show the Olympic rings, representing sports. The lower right quarter shows a book, representing knowledge. The escutcheon in the middle is made of the shield of Cundinamarca. The shield is placed on a dhisk representing planet Earth and charged with the name of the institute. A scroll placed below the disk is charged with the names of the municipality and department. The colours, yellow, blue, red, are those of the national flag of Colombia.
The emblem was designed by Javier Alfonso Cárdenas Alonso.
On the drawing of the flag, the emblem is shown in black and white, with a red outline for the disk, scroll and quarters of the shield. This seems to be a gross approximation, since another drawing of the emblem shows it with blue background, yellow quarters, white letters and red outlines. The emblem of Cundinamarca is placed on a white disk.
However, on a photo showing very partially the flag (and completely the emblem), the letters appear in black, like on the drawing, and not in white!
Ivan Sache, 2 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 31 January 2009
"Institución Educativa Municipal 'Antonio Nariño'"
(INEDAN) is located at Pasto, Department of Nariño.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described by Luis Eduardo Alvarez (the designer of the flag and emblem, together with Giovanny Chamorro) on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-white-yellow with a green triangle placed along the hoist and covering one third of the flag length. The overall proportions are specified as 1:2.
The blue stripe represents stability, depth and clarity of the institutional horizon, linked to intelligence, knowledge and sincerity.
The white stripe represents perfection and acts enlightened by God.
The yellow stripe represents the sun light, joy, intelligence and energy involved in the educational and cultural acts.
The green triangle represents hope, exuberance, fertility and freshness characteristic of the natural environment of Pasto.
The municipal flag of Pasto has the same design, but with different colours. This may not be purely coincidental.
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 28 January 2009
"Colegio 'Antonio Van Uden'" was founded in the
borough of San Pablo de Fontibón, Bogotá, by the Dutch Antonio
Van Uden, and transferred in 1958 to the Federal District of
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided green-white-blue (1:2:1) with the emblem of the institute in the middle.
The emblem of the institute is made of a white triangle outlined in green and charged with the portrait of Antonio Van Uden, surrounded by three elements representing the three pillars of the education provided in the college, "values, science and technology", the whole placed on a blue disk outlined in green, inscribed in a white hexagone outlined in green charged with the name of the institute and representing the educational duty of the institute, "Education with love, gratitude and transcendance".
Ivan Sache, 28 January 2009
image by Carlos Thompson, 17 March 2003
Universidad Antonio Narino, Bogota,
Colombia (Antonio Narino University) - I have not found this in
their website <www.uan.edu.co>,
but I have seen this flag flying over the main door and at the
Carlos Thompson, 17 March 2003
image by Ivan Sache, 15 January 2009
"Institución Educativa Distrital 'Aquileo Parra'",
located in Bogotá, is named after Aquileo Parra (1825-1900),
President of Colombia from 1876 to 1878.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is vertically divided yellow-white-yellow.
Ivan Sache, 15 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 3 February 2009
"Fundación Universitaria del Área
Andina" was founded in 1994 in Pereira, Department of
Risaralda. It is made of the Faculty of Health Sciences, Faculty
of Administration, Marketing and Design, and Faculty of Law,
Social and Human Sciences.
The website of the institute shows a photo of a table flag of the institute, horizontally divided green-white, with the emblem of the university "superimposed". The emblem clearly does not exist on this particular flag but was added subsequently to the image, therefore it is not possible to conclude about the existence of a flag with the emblem.
Ivan Sache, 3 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 6 November 2010
Colegio Alvernia was founded in 1942 in Suba (Bogotá Capital District) by the
nuns of the Franciscan Congregation of the Inmaculate Mary. The congregation was
founded in Coloimbia in 1893 by Blessed María Caridad Brader (1860-1943), a
The flag of Colegio Alvernia, as shown on the institute's website, is horizontally divided white-pink with the institute's coat of arms in the middle. "Its white and pink folds are like a silent poem committing the female youth to love kindness, good practice and moral purity, symbolized by whiteness."
The coat of arms was designed by Mother Alicia David Ramírez. The mountain shown in the background represents the mountain of La Verna (Spanish, Alvernia), offerred on 8 May 1213 by Count Orlando da Chiusi to St. Francis of Assisi; the saint retired there and recieved the stigmata a few years later. The Sanctuary of La Verna was built on the mountain in 1348-1459. The mountain further symbolizes love offerred by St. Francis of Assisi.
The flaming torch and cross shown in the upper left of the shield represents the "Christ's light" and the virtue provided by science. The table with five books, one of them being open, shown in the lower part of the shield, represents science supported by God's word. The base of the shield is charged with the institute's monogram, made of the interlaced letters "CA".
Ivan Sache, 6 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 10 January 2009
"Colegio Ateneo Autónomo de Colombia" was founded
on 10 November 1995 by "Sociedad para el Desarrollo de la
Cultura, la Educación y el Trabajo" (SODECET), legally
registered the same day in Neiva, Department of Huila. Classes
started on 28 February 1996. Recognized by the Department of
Huila on 13 June 2001 (Decree No. 563), the institute has
sections in the municipalities of Acevedo, Algeciras,
Campoalegre, Garzón, Guadalupe, Palermo, Pitalito, San José de
Isnos, Suaza and Timaná.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided yellow-green with a red stripe placed vertically along the hoist. Red means strength, valor and courage required to fulfill the life's project and contribute to the regional and national development. Yellow represents loyalty in the personal relationships and social commitment, as well as the joyous atmosphere of fraternity found in the institution's activities. Green represents growth and aspiration to promote values and balanced development.
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 14 August 2002
Located in Barranquilla, Atlantico Department. The flag shown on
the website is a blue triangular flag with an orange Scandinavian
cross separated from the blue background by a thin white
fimbriation. Exact proportions cannot be infered from the
original source. I have used overall 1:2 proportion by default.
Ivan Sache, 14 August 2002
image by Ivan Sache, Ivan Sache, 15 July 2013
Institucion Educativa Departamental "Liceo Ariguaní" was approved in
November 1982 by Resolution No. 22,683.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided yellow-white-purple with the institute's emblem in the middle. Yellow is a symbol of sincerity, liberty, purity, generosity and piety. White is a symbol of peace and love. Purple is a symbol of loyalty, earth, justice, knowledge and wisdom; purple is also the traditional colour of strength, courage and dedication.
The emblem of the institute is made of the following elements:
- a sketchy green map of Colombia, representing all the aspects of the homeland; green is a symbol of hope, youth, force, conscience, intrepidity, abundance, friendship, production, productivity and progress
- a broken chain in the national colours, surrounding the map, representing oppression and vexation caused by ignorance and misery, suppressed by the pressure of study, science, education and knowledge;
- a flaming torch, symbolizing light and safe guidance and progress in science, arts, religion, reason, economy and all other human activities, accomplished through study, application, discipline, education and wisdom.
- an open book, symbolizing the most universal source of knowledge, wisdom and equality. (flag) (emblem)
Ivan Sache, 15 July 2013