Last modified: 2013-05-15 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | embu-guaçu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
1 January 2013
Embu-Guaçu was settled in the late 19th century by José Pires de Albuquerque and his wife, Emília Pires de Moraes Pedroso. A village was set up, which attracted several immigrants. In 1920, José Pires de Albuquerque established the first yam mill. In 1929, a railway station was inaugurated by the Sorocabana Railway Company. The first shop in the village was built in 1932 by Benedito Roschel de Moraes. The village was originally named Ilha de Itararé, referring to a big island ("ilha") in river Santa Rita, then renamed M'Boi Guassú, from Tupi-Guarani words meaning "great cobra" and referring to the curves of the river, and, eventually, Embu-Guaçu. The district of Embu-Guaçu was established by Decree-Law No. 14,344 adopted in 1944, as part of the municipality of Itapecerica da Serra. The municipality of Embu-Guaçu was inaugurated on 28 March 1965. http://www.embuguacu.sp.gov.br/peg/index.php/embu-guacu - Municipal website
Article 4 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 28 March 1990,
prescribes the symbols of Embu-Guaçu, without further description, as
"the flag, the coat of arms and the anthem".
http://www.embuguacu.sp.gov.br/peg/index.php/lei-organica - Municipal Constitution
The flag of Embu-Guaçu is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 361 of 21 March 1978. Inspired by the Southern Cross constellation, the flag has for focal point the municipal coat of arms adopted in 1965. The blue stripes represent stars Delta and Beta and the water resources of the municipality. The green stripe represents stars Gamma and Alpha and the forests of the municipality. The yellow stripe represents star Epsilon and the resources of the municipality. http://www.embuguacu.sp.gov.br/peg/index.php/bandeira - Municipal website
Photo of the flag http://www.jornalnanet.com.br/noticias/5982/criminosos-ateiam-fogo-em-viaturas-da-gcm-de-embu-guacu
- image redrawn with regular colors and the prescribed "optical disk".
Ivan Sache, 1 January 2013
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.