Last modified: 2012-03-28 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | estância velha |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
A green-white-green descending diagonal triband with the municipal arms centred.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 11 February 2012
The municipality of Estância Velha (42,589 inhabitants in 2010; 52 sq. km) is located in the Porto Alegre Metropolitan Area, 50 km of Porto Alegre. Estância Velha, lit. Old Ranch, is named for an Imperial cattle breeding station established on the right bank of the Bells' River (Rio dos Sinos). The ranch was four leagues in perimeter and housed 6,000 bovines. Once known as Entrada de Bom Jardim (Entrance of the Good Garden), the place was renamed Genuíno Sampaio by Decree No. 7,842 of 30 June 1939 and Estância Velha by Municipal Law No. 177 of 10 April 1950. The municipality of Estância Velha was established by State Law No. 3,818 of 8 September 1959, seceding from São Leopoldo, and inaugurated on 20 December 1959.
The symbols of Estância Velha are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 678,
adopted in 1980.
On the flag, green represents the forests, the fields and hope. White
represents peace and harmony.
The coat of arms is "Per fess, 1a. Azure a cogwheel or, 1b. Gules a
leather or, 2. Argent two branches vert per saltire." Below the shield
is a scroll vert inscribed in letters sable with the name of the
municipality surrounded by its year of foundation and emancipation.
The shield surmounted by a four-towered mural crown or.
The cogwheel symbolizes industry. The leather symbolizes tannery and
shoemaking, the main industries in the municipality. The branches
symbolizing the tan-producing trees. The four towers of the mural
crown represent the four main accesses to the municipality.
Ivan Sache, March 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.