Last modified: 2008-04-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: somme-leuze | eagle (ermine) | ermine (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Somme-Leuze - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 17 December 2005
The municipality of Somme-Leuze (4,732 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 9,509 ha) is located on the limit of the regions of Famenne and Condroz. The municipality of Somme-Leuze is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Somme-Leuze, Baillonville, Bonsin, Heure, Hogne, Nettinne, Sinsin and Waillet.
Somme-Leuze is the second biggest village of the municipality. Somme belonged to the St. Lambert's Chapter in Liège; Leuze was granted to the Knight Templars in 1255, and Somal belonged to the Principality of Liège. The ferme-château (fortified farm) of Somal dates back to theXVIth century; it is made of a big manor flanked by a lower round tower and dependencies surrounded by a thick wall. It is said that a souterrain links it to the Templars' farm in Leuze.
Baillonville is the geographical and administrative center of the municipality of Somme-Leuze. It is made of the two villages of Rabozée and Baillonville. The latter village and its castle belonged to the Waha family and later to the Bishopric of Liège.
Bonsin is the northernmost village of Somme-Leuze, on the border with the Province of Liège. It is located in Condroz whereas most other villages of the municipality are located in Famenne. The hamlet of Chardeneux, with its Romanic chapel (XIIth century) is member of the association of the Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia. A Gallo-Roman villa was excavated in 1910, yielding a mask shown in the Curtius Museum in Liège.
Heure is the tourism center of the municipality. The village belonged to the monastery of Waulsort. Mines of schists, lead and iron were exploited there in the past. The square tower of the Notre-Dame church is dated 1611.
Hogne (500 inhabitants) is divided into two parts by the national road 4. The structure of the village was dramatically altered by the revamping of the road. In the XIVth century, the Prince-Bishop of Liège stayed sometimes in the farm built by the White Friars; the farm was replaced by a castle built in 1676-1677 by Edmond d'Ochain.
Nettinne is built on a height and has remains of a main Gallic fortress, which might have been a strategic place for Ambiorix, the chief of the Eburons who resisted Caesar.
Noiseux is the biggest village of the municipality (892 inhabitants). It is watered by the river Ourthe, of biological and ecological significance there.
Sinsin is known for its karstic sites, such as the Trou du renard (Fox' hole) and the Trou de la louve (She-wolf's hole). A Prehistoric tomb was excavated in the Trou de l'Heuve.
Waillet is the smallest village of the municipality (139 inhabitants), with seven streets. The castle of Waillet, built in 1557 and its farm are partially hidden by trees planted during the building of the castle.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 17 December 2005
The municipal flag of Somme-Leuze is red with a white eagle semée with
ermine spots and with yellow beak and claws.
According to Armoiries communales en Belgique. Communes wallonnes, bruxelloises et germanophones, the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 23 July 1996 and confirmed by the Executive of the French Community on 28 March 1997.
The flag is a banner of arms. It is made after the banners hold by the griffins used as supporters on the arms of the ancient family of Waha.
Arnaud Leroy & Pascal Vagnat, 17 December 2005