Bestellen Sie Ihre Fahnen / Flaggen im Flaggen-Shop bei fahnenversand.de
Diese Website beschäftigt sich mit der Wissenschaft der Vexillologie (Flaggenkunde).
Alle auf dieser Website dargebotenen Abbildungen dienen ausschließlich der Informationsvermittlung im Sinne der Flaggenkunde.
Der Hoster dieser Seite distanziert sich ausdrücklich von jedweden hierauf u.U. dargestellten Symbolen verfassungsfeindlicher Organisationen.
This is a mirror of a page that is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website.
Anything above the previous line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.
Historical Flags (Afghanistan)
Last modified: 2006-07-01 by ian macdonald
Keywords: afghanistan | historical |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
- A comprehensive political and vexillological history of Afghanistan, by Jaume Ollé (Spanish text only):
- Flags of Afghanistan at the Afghanland.com website
Afghanistan has been deemed the winner of "the most frequent flag changes in the twentieth century" contest:
- 1901-1919 Black field with central white emblem of mosque, flags and wreath.
- 1919-1928 Same, except central emblem surrounded by eight pointed sunburst.
- 1928-Sep.1928 Similar to 1901.
- Sep.1928-Jan.1929 Vertical black, red, green. Central white emblem of mountains, sun, wreath, topped by a star.
- Jan.1929-Oct.1929 Similar to 1919-1928.
- Oct.1929-1930 Same three-striped field, but using earlier emblem surrounded by sunburst.
- 1930-1973 Same three-striped field, central white emblem of mosque, flags, and wreath.
- 1973-1974 Same as the previous one, without the date in the emblem.
- May 1974-Apr.1978 Horizontal field, lower half green, upper half is black over red. Emblem in upper hoist of eagle, pulpit, wreath, sunburst.
- Apr.1978-Oct.1978 Same as previous, no emblem.
- Oct.1978-Apr.1980 Red Field with gold emblem in upper hoist consisting of script characters (I believe it says Flag Party) wreath, and star.
- Apr.1980-Nov.1987 Three equal horizontal stripes of black over red over green. Multicolor emblem in upper hoist of pulpit, book, wreath, sunburst, topped by cogwheel and red star.
- Nov.1987-Apr.1992 Same as previous, but emblem lacks book and red star. Also the cogwheel was relocated to the bottom and the green "horizon" below the sunburst is now curved.
- Apr.1992-Dec.1992 Three equal horizontal stripes of green, white, black with white text on green stripe and black text on white stripe.
- Dec.1992- September 1996 Same three stripes, but golden emblem centered on the flag.
- September 1996 - November 2001 White flag,
at times with the Shahada in black
- January 2002 - January 2004
Black-red-green vertical stripes, with coat of arms on red stripe, date on
- Since January 2004 Black-red-green
vertical stripes, with coat of arms on red stripe, date on flag 1298.
Nick Artimovich, 19 March 1996, augmented by editor.
It seems to me that a large number of these are relatively insignificant
variations on the same design. Considering the country involved and the
improbability that any official records exist for the time period concerned, I
can't help wondering if some of these don't simply reflect either errors in
observation by contemporary (non-vexillologically oriented) observers or
irregularities in production.
Joe McMillan, 12 August 2005
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.
Bei fahnenversand.de erhalten Sie eine Vielzahl an günstigen Flaggen, Pins und Aufnähern, zum Beispiel: